Used 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 447 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Tom Wells
By Tom Wells

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I really like my Jeep. My wife enjoys it even more. It is the nicest vehicle we ever drove as far as comfort and ease of driving. The only minus is the noise level inside the Jeep. I think it is somewhat noisy, as to wheel gear noise.

GPS is nice. Pedal adjustment and sound system is great.

More storage in the rear. It needs a storage for tools and emergency equipment. A few cubby holes in the dash would also be nice.

If you like your Jeep Service guy...
By NewJeeper

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

After 5 months of ownership here are my thoughts. You'll love this vehicle if you live near the dealership, because you will likely be visiting them often. I've had AC problems, lots of them. AC gets stuck blowing heat if you turn the selection knob too fast. I actually had cold air blowing out one side and heat out the other. Gas mileage is terrible with this thing, TERRIBLE. The transmission shift is also horrid; you have to wait for it to catch up when shifting from reverse to drive. Good thing it has manual override, it's about the only way to get the performance up to par. Other than these problems it's a good vehicle and fun to drive.

Electronic manual shift, because without it, I would have likely been run over by an 18 wheeler when trying to get on the interstate. Handles well once you get up to speed. Outside temp display.

Improve MPG, transmission shift lag, AC airflow problem, brakes also seem underpowered for the chassis. Instituting a buy back program for unsatisfied Jeep customers would also be nice.

Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4--Gotta Hemi!
By KAH

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The Hemi makes this 4x4 SUV stand out from the other mid size SUVs that I test drove before buying. I like the clean lines and boxy look better than the tack on fender flares and side cladding of others. The interior is functional, the controls are simple to read/use, and the seats are firm -- supportive for a long drive. I'm 6'2" and find it roomy, and my girlfriend likes driving it as well (she is 5'4"). We've done mild offroading and towing, and it executes flawlessly. No problems to note in 14k miles, except for a couple of recalls (reprogram fog lights & reflash computer). I chose the Jeep over the Toyota 4 Runner Limited, but you couldn't go wrong either way.

Hemi power, 4x4 Quadra Drive II works well off and on road. The rear seats fold flat for cargo space, and the MDS cylinder deactivation gives me 19mpg at 70mph cruise on 89 octane (can use regular--no premium needed). Like the clean boxy look and simple interior. Not a fan of bells/whistles.

In the city it gets 14mpg, so I wish for better gas mileage. The rear AC vent broke but will be fixed under warranty. The rear seats are a bit firm/flat. Wish the bumpers were chrome/metal instead of plastic, and would like softer interior plastic-- minor gripe.

Style and grunt
By grand cherokee

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

MY JGC Limited is almost a year old and only has 2000 miles on it. I hope the gas mileage improves as engine breaks in. Very nice SUV, almost too nice to consider taking off road. Very pleased with this, my second Jeep vehicle. I had a 2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade lost in a collision.

5.7L HEMI. Acceleration. Handling. Braking. I added an AIRAID cold air intake system, even better throttle response.

Better ground clearance. Cloth seats option on Limited instead of leather. Side air bags standard. Better gas mileage. Need more after market suspension lift makers, only one available and it's only a 2.5 inch lift.

Jeep
By neil

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Nice looks, drives well, poor gas mileage, noisy on highway from whine during passing. Small interior, would be hard for a large person. Seat belts do not fit large people. Came with some factory paint defects. No service problems. Needs backup warning. This is my 3rd Jeep and it is by far the best so far.

Design, both inside and out.

Better gas mileage. More head room and longer seat belts or offer extensions.