Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 465 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

A very happy repeat Jeep buyer!
By Mike W.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 7th Jeep vehicle, and 5th Grand Cherokee. The common complaint of the windows not working and/or the interior lights not shutting off is a simple broken ground wire in the driver's door harness. Took me 10 minutes to fix. Overall, I'm very pleased with this Jeep, although some things have not lasted as long as older models I've owned, namely, the hood supports failed at 50k, all 4 shocks leaking at 60k, and rear axle seals at 70k. Other than that, it's been rock-solid reliable. Fuel mileage is outstanding for an engine whose roots date back to the early 1960s. By the way, it's an inline 6, not a V6 as some reviewers have written. I would and do recommend the Grand Cherokee!

Torquey inline 6 gets the job done just fine, and without any modern gimmickry. 4WD system is outstanding (Selec-Trac). Solid axle front/rear suspension is simple and durable. Jeep tended to stick with what works, rather than change for the sake of change or lure in buyers with bells and whistles.

Where are my grease zerks? All the front end parts are sealed! This is a "planned failure" in my opinion, and something recently changed, as even my '01 Cherokee had lubrication points for the front end parts. Suggested improvements is a moot point since the new body style came out the next year

electrical issues
By dansss

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This jeep is great when it comes to driving in the snow. It's not bad around town, it looks great in dark grey. I have had some issues with the electrical system though. The pass. side taillight keeps going out and none of the windows go up or down. I feel they could have done a better job on the electrical system.

The saying "jeep there's only one" - thats for sure I am going to go to Ford.

Electrical system

2004 grand cherokee ltd V8 HO
By nz

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my vehicle at 30,000 miles as a one owner lease return. I've absolutely loved this vehicle, the interior is very comfortable, the engine has tremendous power (which I love) and it's been the picture of reliability. I have several colleagues who all have jeeps during this bodystyle and most if not all of them have had only limited even standard maintenance. Several have over 130k with no new engines, transmissions, nothing beyond routine maintenance. The four wheel drive (mine is always on) feels amazing, and during cold weather I pity the other White-knuckled drivers on the road.

The torque of the V8, the plushness of the leather seats, and i also like the bright white dials

no real improvements other than a panoramic sunroof would be nice one day, and i wish jeep had a more 'upscale' vehicle instead of always pitching the outdoorsy angle (not counting the overland - a different bodystyle would be nice)

115,000 miles and going strong
By Russ Archer

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo new in 2004. It was a V8 demo model with less than 1,000 miles. I got a great deal on it because it was a demo and because of a $6,000 cash incentive. I've driven it now for over five years and have put an average of 23,000 miles per year on it, mostly highway. I had the shocks replaced at around 50,000 miles and all four axle seals replaced at about 70,000 miles. Actually, the rear ones were the only ones leaking but I thought I'd better go ahead and have them all replaced. Other than those two issues, it has been surprisingly reliable. Major services were done at 30K, 70K, and 100K and I did most oil changes myself every 3K to 5K miles.

The 4.8 L V8 is smooth, powerful, and surprisingly fuel efficient. I average 22-23 mpg highway in summer and 20 mpg highway in winter. The Quadra Trac II four-wheel drive is great in the wet and on snow & ice and performs flawlessly. I've never needed to lock it in low despite foot deep snow.

None that I can think of. I'm very impressed with my Laredo's reliability, performance, and fuel mileage given that it is a typical big SUV. I'm never getting rid of it!

Problems
By Jason

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm having problems with my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The power windows don't work and the interior lights wont go off when headlights are on. It doesn't even seem like my 4 wheel drive even works. My mirrors wont work,everything is powered. I had a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Now that was a beautiful suv! Until a tree falls on it and totals it.I love Jeep but not sure about these problems.It may even be the dealships fault. Who knows.....

electric seats,power windows,heats up fast,4 wheel drive,exterior look,interior look,good stock stereo

mp3 hook up to radio,no sunroof on mine,i want a sunroof