Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

2nd one 4 me
By jim in alabama

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Jeep Grand Cherokee and I am very happy with it. Would not rate is as high as a Toyota Highlander but close. I have had no trouble with my Jeep. Had a 1988 model that ran forever, 188000 miles and the only, thing other than regular mx, was one fuel injector went bad, (I fixed) and the alternator went out at 175000 miles and I fixed it myself, too. I could use bigger cup holders and better fuel economy, 16-18 in town and 20-22 on the highway. This is where Toyota has Jeep beat hands down. Plus the Toyota has better power and acceleration. All in all for what I paid I got a really pretty vehicle that is fun to drive and is practical for me. Great radio controls!!!

radio controls on steering wheel, cruise control is really accurate, plush leather seating, tows boat with no problems, really looks like a SUV should. 4.0 liter engine is a good combo of power and durability. Bullet proof engine and drivetrain.

Better fuel economy, I know you can do it my 1988 go over 25 mpg on the highway running 75 mph all day long.

2003 Jeep Laredo is a Danger on the road
By Valerie

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Jeep is now in the shop for the 6th time in 5 weeks, for the same problem-it keeps shutting off; at lights, stop signs, on the road, in the parking lot. Lose power steering and brakes. Only has not quite 58,000 miles on it over 6 years and 3 months. I will NEVER buy another Chrysler car again.

None

Make a decent, dependable vehicle that isn't a hazard to the road and to other drivers.

Seats Catch On Fire!
By JWR11

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

2003 Overland purchased new Oct 2002. 72000 miles and the same tires / brakes still in good shape. Runs great. No issues except it cost $750 to repair the heater blend door last year. Returned to dealer for electric seat warmer recall in Jan 07. Thought all was repaired but yesterday the driver's seat caught fire and burned holes in the leather seating area. Obviously from the seat warmer. Called the dealer and will take it in this week and see if Chrysler will warranty it, More later. Be careful of the electric seat heaters in these Jeeps. Seems as if others have had the same problem as well, from what I can determine from the Internet.

RE: Jeep or Heap?
By ann

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the exact same issues as the post Jeep or Heap. In October, my '03 JCL stalled on the expressway while driving, which I lost the power steering. It would also shut down and power up like it was going to stall, while I was driving. I took it in to a mechanic, which they kept for 3 days because it couldn't be diagnosed unless it stalled on them so I took it home and of course, it stalled. So they picked it up were able to fix the problem. Unfortunately, it is now doing the same thing again. It bucks and seems to want to lose power but catches again. I'm paranoid to drive it for long distances. I also had a problem with the power window failing.

tight turning capability. drives like a car. the trunk capacity.

I'm sure this is a problem that needs to be handled by a recall.

Only American product I would buy
By Yipeiokyay

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When my PT Loser died I jumped on a great deal for this used 03 Laredo. The best decision I ever made. My son has a 97 with 170K and loves it and with the expected life of this SUV being around 500K I think we both will be driving them for years to come. We took both of them out in the snow the other night and had a great time. I can't wait to get it in the mud this Spring.

I only wish I had the sun/moon roof...other than that it has everything you could need or want.

It's a little hard to shift into 4lo so I guess I wish that was a little easier...