Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Shoddy Chic! Cute w/ Constant Problems
By katherine

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Completely fed up. Bought this with 31K miles in July 05; nothing negative in CarFax. Was out of town 3 months so have only driven it 5 months yet I've had to take it for service 9(!) times now: multi cylinder misfires (twice), valve over carbonization (twice), oxygen sensor failed/replaced, fuel line leaked, tensioner pulley fell out of engine (!) and replaced, pass-side window collapsed plus needed several parts replaced, and a few generic engine malfunctions. Unbelievable. Was there NO quality control? Only 35K miles now - should NOT be like this. I hate my car.

Moonroof, and the exterior appearance. Very nice looking car.

The 03 Jeep Grand Cherokees had lots of engine problems. Most were addressed in 05 and 06. The non-engine problems I've had, however, seem like random flukes. A dangerous, inconvenient, never ending series of lousy random flukes. Suggest Jeep quality control all vehicles, and dealers stand behind the defective ones they sell.

OK for an American car
By Cindy

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got a really good deal on this or I probably would have gotten something nicer. I wanted 4 wheel drive and an SUV and I got this one at a good deal. I'm used to imports so I would have to say that overall, I'm not really happy with it. Wind noise, inferior sound system, chipmunk noises in the dash, not enough power. But if you don't mind buying American, it's a good value and nicer than the Fords and Chevys.

Automatic 4 wheel drive, cargo area.

More power, better quality overall, better sound system (speakers).

Why did I buy?
By Jeep Junk

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this Overland used with 44,500 miles on it and I have had it for 2 weeks. The first day the heat stopped working on the drivers side (I'm told is a common and EXPENSIVE problem) $680 I had that fixed after much yelling and screaming at the dealership. Now in the second week the truck gas mileage is down to about 10 miles to the gallon and is bogging down. I think it might have an upper intake gasket leak. It bucks when under power. I have put about 300 miles on the truck and this is the second time it needs to go in. What a piece of junk. I was warned about Chrysler products and wish I had took the warnings more serious. Next truck will definitely be foreign. Sorry USA.

Heated seats very warm, nice interior and exterior style. Thats about it though and when compared all the mechanical problems don't do much for me.

Go to a Toyota or Nissan plant and watch how they make dependable vehicles. (Take notes Chrysler).

Love the Overland
By Raven1

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This 2003 Overland edition is great looking. The interior is also very attractive, but I find the driver's seat too soft and too small. The vehicle does not handle that well on windy country roads. There is a significant amount of body roll and the seat does not seem to hold my average sized body very securely. I love the chrome 17' wheels. The leather/suede mix is nice in the interior. The 4.7 HO is very powerful and quick from a start and when merging. The sound system is good but not excellent. My wife is the primary driver of this vehicle and she loves it. The vehicle has performed well on all road surfaces and in all conditions. The creature features of the overland are great.

4.7 HO engine is fun to drive. Not that bad on gas either. 15.5 in mixed country/highway driving. 21 mpg on a 7 hour highway trip! The black/chrome combination looks great but requires regular car washes.

I thought the sound system in my 98 Grand Cherokee Limited was better. The front seats need to be roomier and firmer.

Get the extended warranty
By OverlandMan

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my '03 Overland new in December '02. I really loved the styling as well as long list of standard features. My problems started at around 10k miles with a broken hvac fan motor. The dealer replaced the resistor pack. Almost exactly 1 year later to the date, the fan died again. The dealer replaced the resistor pack again to fix it. 1 year later the heat stopped working for the passenger side; this time it was the blend door, a very expensive repair had the Jeep not been under the original warranty. So to sum it up the dash got ripped out 3 times in under 3 years, which would have cost over $2k had it not been under warranty. For these problems alone I can't recommend a Grand.

Strong V8, styling, off road prowess, interior styling.

Better quality parts. When will American car manufacturers ever learn?