Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 231 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Great Vehicle, but
By Loveland

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle new in Sept 2002. Love everything about it, except that the darn engine light comes on at least every six months. The latest is for something to do with emissions. Come on, this is ridiculous.

Lights come on by themselves. All buttons on back of steering wheel. Sunroof, 10 disk CD, heated seats.

Get rid of the engine light coming on for emissions and other stuff that just doesn't matter.

Happy With Purchase
By The Rock

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our '02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo two years ago with 22K on the clock. Have had no major problems with vehicle, only thing that did happen was the drivers side window came off the track and had to be replaced. We bought the extended warranty to 80K so we were covered. Will be trading it in on a used Suburban - not because we are unhappy with the Jeep, we just need more room. We will miss it!

Sporty looks, handles pretty well, very car-like.

Car seems very narrow. Jeep should make a bigger SUV to compete with the likes of the Suburban, Excursion, etc.

Great SUV
By lhazie

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I absolutely love this vehicle. Very reliable SUV, although the rear axle was replaced after 2 years but was covered by warranty. It never left me stranded even in the deepest snow of Buffalo. The only complaint is that it is a little "wobbly" for some passengers. Overall it was worth every penny. And what a great re-sale value, if I can ever bear to part with it. (I've read a lot about the rotors, I have 43,000 miles on same rotors; no problem).

Interior design, cargo room, comfortable heated seats, reliable in the snow/ice. Tripometer is very handy. Love the auto dimming mirrors and the auto wipers!

Needs to be sturdier- sways too much. A/C could be a little colder.

Great go anywhere SUV
By DavidBAsh

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third Grand Cherokee and this is the most reliable yet. With 52,000 miles I have had no problems, just getting my original tires and brake pads replaced. I feel safe going anywhere I need to go. At freeway speeds of 70mph or so I am getting 22mpg with this V8, in town it averages around 16mpg.

Ability to go anywhere; beach, hunting lands, difficult places at ball games.

I would like to see the flex engine as an option so I can use alcohol, diesel, propane or gasoline. I drove a Flex Fuel SUV in Brazil and it was great. Not as powerful as the ones in the USA though.

Somewhat Disappointing
By DEAN BONNEMA

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have found this vehicle to be somewhat less than what we expected from Jeep. We have four main complaints. 1. It does not get anywhere close to the promised gas mileage. 2. It down shifts very hard when on the interstate. 3. The comfort of the seats is not good for long trips. 4. In the first 30,000 miles we had to replace brake rotors & pads, and had to replace fuel injectors, very little of which was covered under warranty. I would not buy another Jeep SUV.

I like the quality of the interior and the overall construction of the body. It's a fun automobile to drive and has great manuverability.

The seats really need more work. My leg goes numb when driving long distances and there isn't enough leg room in the backseat.