Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 230 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Couple of Quirks
By golf26guy

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I like it. Power of V8 is great. With Quadra drive, turning tight turns, jumps, jerks etc. from full time 4 x 4. Rear seat leg room could be better. Had a Nissan Murano; loved it, but would not pull my trailer -- this Jeep will with ease. Just hope the tranny and rotors hold up to 100k miles. Ride is a little shaky, not as refined as most suv's these days.

Infinity, although does not compare with Bose in previous Nissan Murano. V8 will get up and go.

Auto forward sunroof. Seat heater, high is burning, and can't feel low. Rain sensing wipers, HATE them. Wish I could take them off.

Check Engine again?
By skiutah1080

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle as a "certified used vehicle." I also got the extended warranty just in case. What I got was a certified piece of [expletive deleted]. In the little over month and a half that I have had the vehicle, the service engine light has come on for the 4th time (today) and the transmission still hunts for gears while accelerating (basically it can't decide if it wants to shift down or not, or just shifts down too early.) This weekend I'm trading it in. I got in over my head with this piece of junk and I'm worse for the wear, but I'll take the hit to get rid of it. As much fun as SUV's are I believe I'm going back to a car.

Seats even without leather are like sitting on pillows ... they're quite comfortable. Handles really well in the snow (as long as you're not stupid about it).

QUALITY QUALITY QUALITY. RELIABILITY. GAS MILEAGE.

This is my 3rd and last Jeep
By Lorrie

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Lots of trouble with rotors. Both front windows had to have regulators replaced ... right after warranty expired. Transmission problems. Trouble with check engine light staying on.

Leather and sunroof, but I paid extra for those options.

Don't care, won't buy another one.

Awesome Power, Overall Great Vehicle!
By Danny

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD for about a year now and I absolutely love it. The interior is styled great and has all the features that I want in a vehicle, and as for the 4.7L V8 engine, absolutely great. This vehicle has tremendous power and excellent throttle response. The only thing I do not like is the 4WD. It doesn't go into 4WD the way I would like it to. For this to be a SUV, it really doesn't drive like one. It is a very stable vehicle in the curves and also seems to stop really well for its size. Overall I can't tell you all the good luck that I have had with my Jeep. This is the vehicle I have been wanting for a while now and I have finally got it. A+.

Interior styling, strong V8 engine, excellent driving performance, great reliability.

Redesign the 4WD system to work smoother and engage when stopped, Offer dual exhaust option from factory, Change to adjustable cupholders.

'02 Overland, Over-rated
By Ackdog RI

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 7th Jeep product. The 1st six were great vehicles except for one transmission in a '93 Grand Cherokee. My '02 JGC Overland has had nothing but problems in 111K miles. Brakes, electrical gremlins, heater core @ 99K and now a transmission @ 109K miles. The tech who rebuilt the tranny says rear end due very soon. The car has all highway and some beach miles, so it hasn't been used hard. When the car runs it's a dream. Too bad it likes the shop more than my garage. Maintenance is per the manufacturer schedule. Build quality and reliability of the main parts is suspect. 100K miles is not excessive nowadays. This car should go 200K-300K for the price.

Off road capability, comfort.

More reliable, manufacturer back up of product.