Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 232 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Electrical problems
By Rob

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Shortly after the 36k mile warranty (37400 miles to be exact) the AC blend doors failed and that will require a $2000 repair; we have also had several electrical problems that come and go. Last week the gauges all started jumping before the key was put into the ignition. None of these problems are covered of course. We really like the looks and how comfortable Grand Cherokee is but the quality is very poor. We have two Mercedes that are of much better quality and I'm afraid that this will be our last American designed automobile.

Comfortable interior, nice leather seats and heated seats are really nice in the winter.

Better steering; the Jeep has the worst turning radius ever. Fix the electrical problems and this will be an ok vehicle.

Best Car I've Owned
By carcritic

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the most comfortable used SUV you will find. I bought mine new in 2002 and I have never regretted it. No mechanical problems to date, with over 43K on the odometer. Offroad it is amazingly adept and easy to navigate narrow paths on nearly any terrain. On road it's a little soft but predictable, with a great turn radius. The seats are so comfortable (my friends Lexus seats are not as comfortable). The 4.7L V8 is a tad thirsty (consistently 17mpg), but the power from the near-300 ft-lbs of torque will silence any criticism when acceleration or off-road grunt is needed. The Quadra-Drive takes me to places my wife's Forester can only dream of.

4.7L V8 power, Nice leather, Infinity sound system, comfortable seats. Reliability has been great.

Cross-rails for roof rack should be standard, not an option.

Couple of Quirks
By golf26guy

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I like it. Power of V8 is great. With Quadra drive, turning tight turns, jumps, jerks etc. from full time 4 x 4. Rear seat leg room could be better. Had a Nissan Murano; loved it, but would not pull my trailer -- this Jeep will with ease. Just hope the tranny and rotors hold up to 100k miles. Ride is a little shaky, not as refined as most suv's these days.

Infinity, although does not compare with Bose in previous Nissan Murano. V8 will get up and go.

Auto forward sunroof. Seat heater, high is burning, and can't feel low. Rain sensing wipers, HATE them. Wish I could take them off.

Check Engine again?
By skiutah1080

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle as a "certified used vehicle." I also got the extended warranty just in case. What I got was a certified piece of [expletive deleted]. In the little over month and a half that I have had the vehicle, the service engine light has come on for the 4th time (today) and the transmission still hunts for gears while accelerating (basically it can't decide if it wants to shift down or not, or just shifts down too early.) This weekend I'm trading it in. I got in over my head with this piece of junk and I'm worse for the wear, but I'll take the hit to get rid of it. As much fun as SUV's are I believe I'm going back to a car.

Seats even without leather are like sitting on pillows ... they're quite comfortable. Handles really well in the snow (as long as you're not stupid about it).

QUALITY QUALITY QUALITY. RELIABILITY. GAS MILEAGE.

This is my 3rd and last Jeep
By Lorrie

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Lots of trouble with rotors. Both front windows had to have regulators replaced ... right after warranty expired. Transmission problems. Trouble with check engine light staying on.

Leather and sunroof, but I paid extra for those options.

Don't care, won't buy another one.