Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 191 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Last Jeep
By dougf330

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had a number of Jeeps over the years.
My first was a '68 Cherokee (like a 2-dr Wagoneer), a CJ-7, an '89 Wagoneer, a '91 small Cherokee, and my last Jeep EVER, a 2001 Grand Cherokee.
One of the biggest reasons I will ever buy another Jeep, is because Chrysler has not continued the Jeep tradition established by American Motors.
Sure, the fit & finish are a little better, but my 2006 Dodge Durango is more of a Jeep than this Jeep!

My first gripe comes with the new four wheel drive systems (Quadtra Track II & Quadra-Drive).
Both are AWFUL on ice.
California people who climb rocks and traverse the desert may think it's great, but in Minnesota it just doesn't "cut the mustard."

The best part of this Jeep is the AMC designed inline 6 cylinder engine. An engine that is no longer available.

I've always love the Chrysler Pacifica, which it the platform for the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. But it will NEVER be a REAL JEEP until it is offered with a Selec-Track transfer case. There "new" quad system has settings like "ice" and Snow." They insult the intelligence of a real Jeep devotee who would rather see something like "4-Wheel Lock" on the label. Quit trying to be Soccer Mom friendly! If they can't drive a Jeep, sell them a Dodge!

A real 4x4 vehicle
By dues711

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Jeep has exceeded all expectation. Its full time 4 wheel drive with Quadra Trac II transfer case The 4.7 V8 with full tow package oil and tras coolers make this Jeep a real workhorse. It has had minor problems considering I abuse this truck. It goes through mud, snow, climbs and forges water like its made for. Yes I have replaced the rotors 3x's but thats because of the inferior Asian steel that they are made of. replace with a set of slotted rotors & ceramic pads problem solved. I'm running LT truck tires instead of the P passenger car tires it comes with. rides a little stiffer but a small sacrifice for towing and off road use. I did replace an axle bearing in the rear but at 100k!

4x4 this Jeep gets used and abused and looks just as good as new. It will go anywhere ad do things other 4 wheel drive vehicles would just have to sit back and watch. It has Horsepower and torque. And without sacrificing comfort. this truck does the job others can't!

Could replace rotors with slotted, and upgrade the power steering pump to a heavier duty version. [its been through 3 pumps] but I do use it hard off road and thats hard on steering. The heated seats burned out at 75k. But everything else is awesome!!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Lare-dead!
By Andrew183

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Only thing comforting to know here is sadly, I'm not the only one with the same problems. Just had the governor sensor and solenoid, and a snap ring replace for $650 at independent mechanic. I have basically had a total rebuild of the engine cooling system, radiator, water pump, radiator, (2) cooling fans. Total rebuild of the brakes twice. Every window regulator has broken, 5 different times on various windows, and am at the point that my passenger rear is going unfixed. Luckily I know how to fix that cause it is a $400. I live beachside and had garage kept the vehicle and it has thoroughly rusted through the roof in a matter of 2 years. Moon roof, gone. Windshield, cracked. Unbelievable!

A roomy ride for a 5-passenger vehicle. Handles nicely. Has some power with the old 4.0L I6 Motor.

A reliable car would be nice. It is no surprise anymore, that every month I seem to have a $250+ problem, which to me means I need to throw this away and get a new car. Why throw money at a train wreck.

It's not hard to say goodbye
By jlanding

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had this Jeep since I was 16 years old. Sold it a few weeks ago with 157,000 miles. This is a love/hate relationship. I loved the interior, exterior, and handling of this vehicle. I had just about everything except steering wheel replaced on this car. Brakes were constantly an issue. Transmission went out at 100,000. Belt tensioner, thermostat, sway bar, alternator, vacuum tubing, oil pressure gague, hood shocks, hubs, driver and passenger side windows all went out and had to have it all replaced. The center console malfunctioned several times and thankfully was all covered under warranty. It took 4 trips to the dealer to get this fixed. I wished it was reliable. Never again!

The exterior of the car looked great. The interior was comfortable and roomy.

I honestly believe Chrysler makes the crappiest most unreliable vehicles on the planet. If they could get there stuff together, they might find they could make a good car. As it is, they would rather be bailed out. They have lost a customer for life. I will never buy another Chrysler again!

2001 Bought new. Good luck so far.
By shepherds2

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our second Jeep. This limited v8 model is a keeper even though there have been the usual Jeep failings 1) brake calipers (which after the third time Jeep replaced on a recall with some super slotted disks for free. No problems since then). 2) hood struts ($300 to replace so still broken. We never have occasion to go under the hood anyway). 3) seat heater. 4) heater box mechanism. All in all very few repairs for 147,000 and nine years use. We are very pleased with this vehicle

Exterior fit and finish quality is very high. This jeep looks like it Just came off the showroom floor. People swear this jeep is years newer than it actually is. Radio/ sound system is excellent. Very difficult to get stuck in Foot and a half snow drifts. Quad trac system is awesome. V8 powerful.

Leather seats uncomfortable on long trips. Why they can't make a hood strut last longer than 3 years is beyond me. Wouldn't replace on warranty either. Very few minor complaints about this vehicle and we would by another Jeep if Chrysler would guaranty it to run as good as this one.