Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 191 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Very enjoyable
By James Nichols

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the vehicle used, 1 year old. It now has 65k miles on it and have had 2 problems up to date. I had to replace the driver side window regulator. Plastic piece broke. New piece made with metal. Recirc door for the a/c had to be fixed. New piece supposed to be an upgraded fix. Neither problem overly expensive.

Love the power -- hate the gas when using it. Love the visibility, ride, functionality, turning radius, looks.

Problems should not have been at low mileage. Why the need to upgrade to better parts after the cheap ones break? Should have been placed originally.

Last Jeep for me
By george

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have always loved Jeeps. I had five new ones before I purchased a new 2001 fully loaded. I have had four brake jobs, replaced the steering wheel, the drive shafts, the window regulator, the water pump, the speakers, several sensors, major transmission work,the battery, electronic ignition problems. It was bad enough having to do these things to a $32,000 car, but the treatment from Chrysler and the costs have soured me on any more of their products. Since I have always taken excellent care of my autos, this car still looks like it did the day it left the showroom 4 years ago. Brand new condition. It is parked in my garage, and I drive my Infiniti. Too bad because I used to like Jeep.

Great looking car.

Better engineered products and over haul customer service. I am now a import buyer and hate that idea.

60th Anniversary Edition
By Burago47

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I leased this vehicle new in 2001 with 6 miles on it. Liked it because it had two tone interior, rather than the one color (dark grey) fits all that most new cars use in the interior. Now has 57K with no major problems, other than brake rotors once at 30K, repaired under warranty, and leak in the sunroof, also repaired under warranty. Still looks as good as the day I got it, inside and out, and it has been left outside in the Northeast. Will be coming off lease in April and I plan to buy it. I don't like the looks of the '05 Grand Cherokee, but it does ride and handle better than the old model. The old Jeep has classic styling that I'm afraid we will not see again.

Styling - still the best looking vehicle on the road. Go anywhere drivetrain. Powerful and fast V8, runs on 87 octane. Auto dimming rear view mirror and steering wheel radio controls. Not bad highway mileage for a big V8 car - around 20 mpg. Will keep until the wheels fall off.

Memory mirrors do not reset properly. Repaired and then replaced, still didn't solve the problem. Inner rims on the chrome wheels discolored and deteriorated on the surface. Leather on steering wheel worn prematurely, never saw that happen on any car before.

Need to improve several problems
By dguill

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has several issues that they should recall. My particular problem has been with the power windows. First you hear a popping noise, then down your windows go and don't come back up until you get them fixed. I've had to replace two at over $300. I also am having the brakes act up now as mentioned on previous reviews. I like the car in general but improvements need to be made.

Sunroof, leather seats, CD player.

Second Jeep... will buy a third!
By Adam

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my first Jeep in 1996. I liked it so much that I bought another one. My family liked my cars so much that my brother bought a 2000, and my dad just bought a 2005. I have heard that Jeeps have reliability issues, but at 71K I have only replaced tires, brakes, and a blower motor (within warranty). Jeeps have unparalleled off-road capability and the torque will beat just about any car on the road off the line. The car looks very classy inside and out. Definitely a head turner. I will drive this Jeep till the wheels fall off and then buy another one. I LOVE MY JEEP! p.s. definitely buy v8!

Interior design is very classy, extremely quick acceleration, unbelievable 4-wheel drive and off-road capability. Nice cargo capacity, and great towing ability. 10 disc changer and in dash single disc is very nice.

More leg room for back seat would be nice, but this is improved upon in the 2005 model. Gas mileage is also improved in the new models by switching to a 2 wheel drive while cruising.