Used 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 191 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Can you say bigger rotors?
By rjzeller

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Got this car new in 2001, and it is by far the most fun car to drive I've ever had. I love it. Too bad, however, there are so many repairs required. I have had to turn or replace rotors three times now, and this seems to be common among Jeep owners. But there have been other strange problems: Bad lock motor in the hatch, seized lock cylinder in the ignition, bad thermostat, replaced radio, and I just had to replace the driver's seat frame ($400) as it broke free of the mounting riser. I have NEVER had to fix a driver's seat before. This could have been a perfect car, but with horrible mileage (13 mpg city) and chronic bad brakes, it's hard to look past all the other problems.

Comfort, performance, handling, and easy engine compartment to work on.

Chrysler simply MUST improve the brakes. There's no excuse for having to replace or repair them so frequently. Mileage stinks and there are too many minor problems....quality! quality! quality!

nice ride
By slupoman

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased this suv it was top-of-the line, nice. Can’t find leather interior like this anymore, impressive! Handles real nice towing our 20' pontoon fishing boat. Overall love this ride...but nowadays you have to think about gas. Getting 16 mpg. Would like to get better mileage.

Leather interior & heated seats plus the heated mirrors work great.

I would leave it along & improve on the gas mileage.

Oil Pressure Beware
By DCFS

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo in May of 2001. About one year ago my oil pressure began to drop to the point the check engine light came on. I was told by the dealership the oil pressure gauge stopped working. I replaced the gauge and the issue continued, this time they told me the oil pump needed to be replaced. Replaced oil pump and issue continued again. The Jeep dealership after the third time in is now telling me this is a internal engine issue and replacement of the engine or total rebuilding of the engine are my options. 76,000 miles and my engine has a death sentence. If you have oil pressure issues with your Jeep start looking for another vehicle now. Avoid Jeeps!

None.

Make an engine that lasts more than 70,000 miles.

Engine shot?
By Anti freeze guy

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

As one of the few I can say that brakes have not been my major complaint. Up until a few months ago I had no complaints at all. Sadly it now appears that at 47K I need a major engine overhaul. The coolant level warning light comes on once a month. Entire system has been inspected by dealer and no external leaks have been found. Leaving one possibility.

Design (better then the new one), handling and stereo (infinity package).

Not much since the new model is out.

Great Jeep
By Kizzi

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed every moment of this vehicle! I like speed, sleek, and comfort. I got all of the above.

Heated seats, and sun roof.

Vents in the back so the riders in the back can control their temperature as well.