Used 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 227 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Waste Of Money.
By amandajeannnn

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I was given this vehicle as a gift for my first car. Where I'm from the 4 wheel drive would come in handy, so it seemed like a good buy. Well after about a month of having the vehicle everything went down hill. There's about 128,000 miles on it and I've already spent over 4 grand fixing things that have gone wrong. I've never seen a car with so many problems. Maybe it's old age, but from what I've heard from other jeep owners, the grand cherokee model is not worth the money. It's been three months and I'm already looking for a new car.

Maintenance
By renniejeep

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Overall the 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0 2wd is very good, asl long as there are routine maintenance. After 175miles i use 5 qrts of20/50 oil with lucas oil, however i now receive a maintenance beeping sound without a readout in the cosole or engine light, normally it would display the problem...any ideas out there why/

All features, especially access to the engine parts with a lot of room to work with if need be.

The head lights fades and gets cloudy over time

Bad locks and a lot of engine heat
By lala76

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I had to replace the locks because my jeep has one key hole and that door quit working so I would be locked out for weeks at a time, have to wait for the battery to go dead and triple A to send a locksmith to get me in. The heat coming from under my jeep when it is running is so tremendous I do not drive with my window open and nobody can stand next to it and talk to me through the window without feeling like they are being cooked. My back window does not open and the windshield wiper back there falls off if I try to use it. The heat takes an hour to actually get hot by then its
time to get out of the truck and doesn't matter.

My favorite features are the temperature displayed inside, and the rack on top but I am not tall enough to tie anything on it. My jeep gets up in speed pretty fast, and is good when it rains out. I like that the menu bar over the mirror tells me when maintenance needs to be done. I wish it said what maintenance it was though. For instance an oil change just says perform service.

I would improve that heat coming off that engine and I would put more than one key hole on the truck.

Three Jeep Family
By 17thmichigan

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited in August 2008 and love it.
I've only had a few minor repairs done to it.
My Jeep is properly maintained with all fluids being checked every time I take it in for an oil change at 3,000 miles.
Of course having a son who is a service advisor at a Jeep Dealership helps.
LOL
We also own a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo which is still going strong at 198,000 miles, and a 2010 Jeep Liberty Limited.
We are and will remain a Jeep family.
Before our current Jeeps we owned
94, 98, and 2000 Jeep Cherokees.

The interior is beautiful, well designed, roomy and very comfortable. The exterior is also very pleasing to look at. I enjoy the moon roof and the ten disk CD player.

It seems that Chrysler used cheap materials for the Chrome emblems in the early 2000's. This was not just a Jeep problem but it seems like their whole line of automobiles. There have been many Grand Cherokees that have had the drivers side seat bracket break apart, mine included. I feel there should have been a recall for this problem. Overall its been a great vehicle.

High mileage and still going strong
By megs3

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 291,000 miles on my Jeep.
Yes, I have had repairs beginning at 120,000 through 190,000.
The cost of repairs exceeded the cost of my Jeep.
However, I HAVE NO PAYMENTS on a newer car, and in analyzing this expense vs buying a new one, I'm still ahead.
Paid 12K and put in about 16k.
For the repairs,
replaced the CV boot about 3 times, replaced regulators in the front windows, and the transmission at about 240,000.
And an infamous rattle in the rear end which finally turned out to be the rear door.
Truthfully, most of the cost of repair went to inexperienced mechanics that thought they could fix anything, and knew nothing about jeeps. Its a great vehicle and well worth keeping.

Control due to 4wd, which is really a safety feature and has helped in several incidents to avoid careless drivers. Lumbar adjustable seats, ruggedness, and power. The brakes are great too. I like all of it.

jeep stands for Just empty every Pocket. It would be nice if it were engineered for people that want to keep their cars to the end, and need to find after market parts that work. A lot of the expense is due to having to use Jeep parts only.