Used 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Bad locks and a lot of engine heat
By lala76

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I had to replace the locks because my jeep has one key hole and that door quit working so I would be locked out for weeks at a time, have to wait for the battery to go dead and triple A to send a locksmith to get me in. The heat coming from under my jeep when it is running is so tremendous I do not drive with my window open and nobody can stand next to it and talk to me through the window without feeling like they are being cooked. My back window does not open and the windshield wiper back there falls off if I try to use it. The heat takes an hour to actually get hot by then its
time to get out of the truck and doesn't matter.

My favorite features are the temperature displayed inside, and the rack on top but I am not tall enough to tie anything on it. My jeep gets up in speed pretty fast, and is good when it rains out. I like that the menu bar over the mirror tells me when maintenance needs to be done. I wish it said what maintenance it was though. For instance an oil change just says perform service.

I would improve that heat coming off that engine and I would put more than one key hole on the truck.

New motor and 180k miles later...
By dburkland1028

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I got my Grand Cherokee about a month ago from a wholesaler for $2000.
Obviously it was a little rough around the edges with some dents and high miles (180k) but with a new 4.0 V6, this Jeep runs strong!
The tranny is stock and shifts cleaner than a lot of brand new cars.
For an SUV in its size range, the mileage is amazing.
I get about 20 in city and up to 28 on highway.
Mine suffered the plague of this model GC with warped front rotors.
It was a quick and cheap fix, however, buying one with body damage is a risk, especially around the doors.
Being a unibody car, the frame gets bent very easily, which is the last remaining problem on mine.
Beautiful interior, lots of space, A+ ride!

Smooth ride, lots of space, luxury class while retaining the signature Jeep ruggedness. The 4.0 V6 is a bit touchy for newer drivers, but weak in comparison to smaller SUVs with the same size motors. Mine has leather seats that have held up to 180k miles and 11 years of wear superbly. Not a single paint chip in the vehicle. The stock sound system is fantastic! Very little about the car that isn't superb

New brake rotor design. Don't know if it's the weight of the vehicle or a flaw in the design, but from what I hear, every 2000 Grand Cherokee has this problem at some time. Rear seats could use a little more leg room. The body is essentially the frame, so any damage to the body is expensive. Mine was in a wreck that left the driver side front fender out of line, making the driver's side door really bad out of line. It leaks and air flies through going only 40 mph, so watch body damage with these for sure

Worst car I've owned
By char1980

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I drove this car for 8 years.
Regretted buying it after a year.
I replaced or had to get the transmission torn down THREE times in less than 80k miles.
Twice it was covered by warranty, but the third was all on me.
Never got rid of a very loud and irritating sound, and the wiring wasn't ever correct due to manufacturer's defect.
I had no less than SIX recalls.
Finally, the manufacturer instructed the dealer to put the wrong brakes on the vehicle - discovered when they melted into the wheels during a road trip.
Mfr paid for repairs but not hotel stay - we were stranded waiting for parts.
Just don't buy it.

Comfortable to drive. Felt safe. Had lots of features, and glad I opted out of 4WD - I never needed it, and I lived in snowy Boston for five years.

Buy the warranty if you must buy the car. Worth it. Transmission has GOT to be addressed. Educate dealers and mechanics on proper parts and procedures, and thoroughly test in R&D rather than recall later.

Love my Jeep
By InHisGrip

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I bought this car as a single mom with three teens and have loved it. They were never embarrassed riding in it and I have never had any major work done that either wasn't covered by warranty or was regular wear and tear. My oldest son now owns a 2001 and loves his too. I hope to drive it another 100,000 miles. I replaced my headlights this year and it looks new!

It's practical. It drives like a car and I can load nearly anything in it. I have moved entire rooms, groceries and kids. The best of both worlds for this practical mom. And it's reliable!

The car sways more than most and is a little rough on a rough road.

Great 2WD SUV. Very Reliable.
By SPETERS

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought this with 12,000 miles on it in 2002 and now I have 186,000 miles. It is the 2wd version so it gets ok gas mileage, but not great. Other than a few minor repairs and maintenance, it has not been in the shop. Fit and finish is good. It has been a VERY reliable car. It is fairly comfortable on long trips and has great storage capacity with the back seats down. I love the way the back seats fold completely flat. Holds two dog crates and tons of luggage. The ride is a bit rough and it takes turns like a heavy truck, but other than that is a pleasure to drive. The engine is a V6 and has plenty of pep and low end torque. I don't tow anything so a V6 was fine for me.

Back window that opens without opening the entire tailgate, fold flat rear seats, big storage areas, V6 engine, power seats, leather seats, auto dimming rear view mirror, roof rack

Trip computer display doesn't operate smoothly, headlights aren't real bright, smooth out the ride a bit