Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

this is a tough vehicle
By mr mgoo

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm the 2nd owner. Overall a good vehicle. The only major issue has been front and rear axle bearings; also ABS is touchy. The performance of the Jeep has more than made up for its mechanical shortcomings. This thing is a beast in the mud and snow. I've taken it into some very sticky situations and it has never let me down. Also, it was rear-ended by a 2001 Jimmy. It came out with relatively minor damage, while the Jimmy was trashed. I would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a vehicle that will stand up to its reputation: a bit quirky mechanically, but great off road.

Spare in cargo area takes up valuable space.

Jeep
By Nick

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jjeep - as a college student I need a reliable car with lots of space to move my stuff up and back. This gives me all of that with a nice interior and all the features I could want.

I love the way it handles, and the cd player is nice to have.

On occasion it feels and rides a bit like a truck, much better than the Jeep Cherokee - but could still use some tuning.

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED 5.9L
By NORMA

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used, have done only standard maintenance. Get 21 mpg on freeway, have hauled passengers, 5 large dogs (over 85#), and furniture. Gone 4 wheeling on purpose and not, without problems.

Look, comfort (for a 4-wheel drive), versatility.

Great SUV - (In it's time)
By Kirk

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, I have to admit I love this truck. It's very, very quick (especially with a few cheap bolt-ons), rides decent, and has more off-road ability than 99% of the drivers would ever need. My main complaint: build quality and reliability. My poor Jeep has spent more time in the shop than I care to add up. I would have gladly paid a couple more thousand for it if Jeep had put a little more effort into quality control.

Torque monster, off-road ability, exterior design.

Build quality needs to improve drastically.

I like Jeeps
By laustin

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd jeep. I bought is used with 30k miles. I have had to replace the water pump, power steering pump, brakes, radiator. I love my car but the repairs bother me. I have 100,500K now and have to consider the next car I will buy. I feel very safe in this Jeep on the highway. I feel if I was hit I would stand a chance of living and this is what separates the Jeep from the Jeep wannabes.

Key fob lock/alarm. folding back seats. a/c.

Quieter ride.