Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Wonderful Jeep
By E. Woody

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have enjoyed ownership of my 1998 Grand Cherokee. It has a wonderful ride. The seats are as comfortable as a recliner. It has been almost problem- free. The cost of ownership has been approximately $250 above the purchase price and maintenance. Fuel economy has been 15/24 mpg with an average highway mileage of 22.5 mpg. This is my second Cherokee. I plan to purchase another soon.

Ride and seat comfort.

Fuel economy in town.

Reliable once bugs are fixed
By J

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Spent money on fixing brake system ($1000), cooling system ($500) and electric wiring system ($300) first 4 years, but it was due to poor maintenance. I have everything fixed and it's been driving well.

Space to move furniture. Good mpg compared to other SUVs. If maintained, it will last for long time. I heard engine will go strong until 300,000 miles (20 years).

Power window and power door lock freezes sometimes. Reliability needs to improve for people who doesn't have time to check small details such as cleaning acid from the battery, looking for leaks on wheel bearing, cooling system leaks, etc.

steady and reliable
By John Giuffrida

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

My '98 had 2 miles when I first sat in it; it now has 131k. I have not put a penny into engine work yet and she still starts on the first try. I am just this year being plagued by some undercarriage rusting and mechanical difficulties. This has been by far the most steady and reliable car I've ever owned. I cringe at the thought of selling her.

All controls are at my finger tips, the cars feels as if it was built around me.

Radio needs to be closer to the steering wheel.

Jeep lover for life now...
By plato2375

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Jeep product (I previously owned a 2000 Wrangler). These cars are tanks. Outside of the normal wear and tear stuff (let's face it, this is an 8 year old car), I haven't had any major problems. This thing is a ball to drive and handles anything that I can throw at it (snow, mud, heavy rain.) I have turned my wife into a Jeep lover as well (she recently got a 2006 Liberty which she has fallen head over heels for). While the rest of my friends' cars break down and get stuck in various weather related driving hazards, I can honk my horn as I drive by them and wave.

4-wheel drive system is great and the ride is relatively smooth.

Its problems have problems
By Don Jeans

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've owned this car for 4 years now. Bought it with 155k on it. First off, the car is a beast. Fast and really thirsty. Would probably beat most going from 20-50 mph. I test drove a BMW M3 this past weekend and honestly the Jeep has more torque. For better performance I sometimes kill the OD switch which bumps up the RPMs. The car is also a beast in the snow. It's almost impossible to get it stuck in anything. That said, Jeep really dropped the ball on its construction. The rear differential is the same as the base model 6 Grand Cherokee and can't handle the torque. The rear end makes this disgusting popping noise off the line and sounds like its about to fall off. All 5.9s have this problem.

Deceptively fast. Seats are comfy. Great sound system too.

Tires scrape at parking lot speeds in tight turns as a result of AWD. Also, the rear end of this thing is ATROCIOUS. If you buy one used, know that it will go at some point. I'm surprised Jeep never recalled this. Probably because it costs over $1k to fix.