Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Crim's Jeep
By Linda

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought this Jeep in March of this year with 184k miles on it. Great in rain or snow. Very good brakes for size of vehicle. I love being able to stop it on a dime. So far reliable. Recomend this year to anyone

Overall look, power, everything. Cruise control. Fold down rear seat

Get rid of the spare tire in cargo area. Full size spare. That little dinky donut will not cut it. Move CD player more towards steering wheel

Laredo-My Reliable Friend
By VJohns

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I was told that the first year of owning a Jeep can be a real pain in the "you know what," and I believe it! Brakes, alignment, a new computer and an annoying noise associate with the pinion angle when traveling at 60mph all plagued the vehicle (and me) during the first year. After that, basic maintenance and that is all. A new battery was needed at year 6; in the last year the power door locks have given up working and the transmission is beginning to slip. I think it was developing the transmission problem years ago, but while under warranty I was told that it was "normal play" - even though it made a wonderful "kerchunk" sound when put in reverse :^> Headlights getting "milky"/dim.

Room enough for the dogs, passengers and the SCUBA gear. Compared to other more truck like SUVs, the ride is luxurious, yet it will take you where ever you want to go. Love the trip computer in the overhead console too. Has had problems, but I love it and can't believe I'm getting ready to sell.

Driver leg room (could use more), ease of entry to the back seat for passengers, gas mileage (15-23 avg), transmission reliability (wish they'd keep the in-line 6 engine), electrical reliability. Don't bother with running boards, can't get your big toe in them, they serve as dirt catchers only.

I love my 5.9
By ptowntsi

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This has to be one of the best SUV's available used. I would take it over any mid-size SUV or wimpy crossover. Yes it is true many of these need to have their front and rear axles rebuilt around 100k miles, but that is not so bad. For the price of the vehicle it is easy to spend that money to have them done. When they are rebuilt they will last an easy 100k+ or more. It is completely justifiable. These Jeeps have awesome power, and very luxurious interiors. The 5.9 limited has better leather seats than any Jeep, heated seats, heated mirrors, a great AWD system, and timeless classic styling. I recommend this Jeep for anyone looking for a reliable vehicle.

AWD, heated seats, heated mirrors, memory seats, lots and lots of power, a great factory stereo, solid off road performance, excellent on road manners. Good grip on turns, easy to drive, solid steering, feels very safe.

Well gas mileage on any v8 4x4 is not going to be the greatest, but I love the Jeep and would rather drive this with bad mileage than some wimpy Subaru with good gas mileage. The front and rear axles often need rebuilds, (cheap and easy).

Been a great car
By grap112ler

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car with 99k miles, and it currently has 125k miles. So far, I have had to do no repair work (besides changing a turn signal light bulb, which was a pain). The car handles admirably in all conditions - rain, snow, mud, off- road. However, I think that I will soon have to replace the CV axles, which will cost me about $400. My only gripes about the car are 1) the factory stereo system is kind of shot, but I can deal with that, and 2) the spare tire takes up a lot of room in the trunk space. I've found that if I drive the car about 70 mph, I can get 19 mpg, which is pretty good for a car this size. I would definitely purchase this vehicle again.

Move spare tire (they have done this in newer Jeeps), better speakers.

My Jeep
By slhbanks

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently bought my Jeep at the beginning of 2006 and what can I say about it besides it is unstoppable! Theres nothing this Jeep hasn't seen and been through that I'm sure that other SUV's couldn't have gone through. This is the best vehicle I have ever owned and I would buy another if I see another in the near future that I want.

I love the steering wheel cruise control features and the rear window wiper that is a must have on any SUV. The 4WD is pretty good, I've only been stuck once and the Jeep has seen some pretty nasty places before and has never failed me yet!

Jeep could make a better transmission. Don't really have that bad of a problem with it except that at 135,000 miles it is just starting to slip a little bit. Thats the only problem so far.