Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By Rblake

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this as my first SUV in March 2007 with 113k Miles for $3900. Dad always said 4WD was just something else to pay for when it breaks down, but after driving this in WI snow storms, I'm sold!. My Jeep's 4WD is magical and this is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. The only non-routine maintenance I've encountered is: the rear wiper doesn't work, the rear hatch support struts are beginning to fail in cold temps and I've had to replace the yr old battery shortly after I purchased the vehicle. The towing package pulls my trailer around perfectly. I can't wait to pull the boat & camper this summer. I'm officially a Jeep Guy. My next vehicle will be a '01 or newer Grand Cherokee.

Selec-Trac 4WD is nice. Comfortable seats, sits high, roomy interior, plenty of cargo space, and love the 5k lb tow rating. I also love the trip computer in the overhead.

Yeah, it's an SUV, but if please find a way to get 24MPG AND 200+HP. Deeper cup holders, these let your drink tip when you turn. Decrease wind noise from rear windows. Audio controls on the wheel. 12V plug in back seat & cargo area.

Mommy vehicle
By mommy

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my jeep. It has been a great car. No problems until 120,000 miles. Had to replace Transmission at 130,000. Brakes now are replaced every other year. Radiator blew at 155,000 and just lost my steering pump. Would buy another. lost the A/C at 125,000 and still problematic.

ruggedness, and fun to drive.

Most problems mentioned above I think are normal wear and tear at that mileage level. annoyed at the A/C though.

miss transgender 98 Grand Cherokee.
By miss transgender

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

i've had the vehicle 2 months and its one of the best things i've ever bought my self ever comfort is great i replaced the factory sound system am fm cassette to a nice cd system replace all speaker and added two on the dash i added a full dvd system i wash and wax here ever day got a closed in car port for her to sleep at night this is one slam up jeep i've got the 4.0 straight six lots of power and torque ever thing power in her rear pop up glass factory alloy wheels she great she my girl.

the carpet interior and the seats child safety locks power mirror rear wiper steering wheel air bag cruse control four wheel disk top luggage rack straight 6 4.0

an electric rear window would have been nice and the spare tire full size and put under neath

Excellent
By ef822

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I just bought the car because I have a child and wanted something that was spacious and safe at the same time. I think I have made a great choice in what I chose. The car to me rides so smooth for being a somewhat slender suv. I honestly thought it would be a little bumby and I was pleastly suprised. So far I have only had the car for a few day but I love it. I was also kind of worried about the gas mileage with it being a v8, It actually gets pretty good gas mileage. Overall I would say this is a wonderful car.

Only Jeep owners would understand
By Garus

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

What can I say, I own a 98 Grand with about 105,000 miles on it. I put a 2" spring spacer lift on with 31 x 10.5' tires...It has a meaner stance to it now. Truck has been great! I would definitely buy another one. It looks good enough to take the girlfriend out or go mudding in holes somewhere. I also love the power...I absolutley love this truck!

Everything, no other vehicle like it

Fuel mileage of course, can't really blame Jeep on parts that fail, mostly suspension and things