Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

215,000 miles and still going strong!
By Cece

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep new in 1998....white/grey leather interior, sunroof, etc. At 215,000 miles it is going strong....I drive a lot! Stellar reliability and design.....have been very lucky. It accommodates grandchildren, the dog and their equipment. Now deciding to "go green", turn it in and buy a Prius.....and I'm definitely having a problem parting with my Jeep. Hope this is helpful if you're on-the-fence about purchasing a new or used Jeep?

Sunroof, no-nonsense sturdiness, beautiful interior, sound system, overall size and manageability.

Gas mileage! Outside door handles are tough to engage with arthritis!

Jeep'n
By Kenneth L. Woodard

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep has been with this family for nearly 8 years. It is a good ride and has given us a good ride for the bucks. It was bought as a vehicle for our daughter to drive at KU! Now it is a vehicle for our son who is also at KU! It has good gas mileage and has give us decent repair bills. Mainly, spark plugs and tires. It will make someone a good third or fourth car.

Steering and gas mileage!

Needs gas tank replaced. Needs shocks and spark plugs.

No problem in blizzard/mud/rain/dessert
By renaroo

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Traded in older Jeep, overheated near Vegas en route to Zion during July 4th weekend. Performed flawlessly in the dessert, and A/C kept cool in over 100F temp. Moved to mountains, and helped towed moving truck up the hill when it overheated. Commuted 3 years 90 mi RT, from 5500 ft to sea level, in various conditions: blizzard, ice, mud slides, scorching summer heat with no problem. Rebuilt transmission at 150K. Gas mileage no noticeable change. Hit-n-run accident on the mountain at 170K. Not sure if related to accident, but a few months later: memory loss in computer settings (seat, mirror, radio), heated seat. Now at over 240K mi still works great at -30F. Replaced water pump-no other repairs

Dependable all wheel drive, great acceleration, responsive steering, integrated audio control on steering wheel, overhead vehicle status display, privacy retractable blind for cargo area.

Rear door latch intermittent problem, limited storage, spare wheel inside, front grill difficult to clean. Coolant leak noticed at low temp, below freezing. Manual key entry fail to work after 9 years. Remote still works. Rear pax windows do not retract fully down.

98 Grand Cherokee is grrreeat!
By call me a jeep guy.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Well, I have owned this vehicle for a little over a year it has been wonderful. I have had little to no problems. It is essential for driving in snow. Particularly in the wondrous Rocky's in Aspen, Colorado. I would also say any logical person after some dope in snowy conditions would be perfectly fine traveling in the up coming snow shower. (not even a snow storm(lots of emphasis on shower)).

Driving 70mph in blizzard like conditions knowing I am in the master snow traveler.

supporting to continue the low prices of gasoline and making improvements for tomorrow...

We must have got the lemon...
By dotnboo

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Everyone loves their Jeep. I want to love ours but I think we metro Mitsubishi sold us the only Jeep lemon in Jeep history. At 89,000 miles we thought it was an awesome deal @ 5k. We were told it ran great with no problems but check engine comes on each time we drive it, gas gauge always says empty, overdrive doesn't work, power Windows don't always work from back seat & the sunroof had to get fixed from dealer the evening of the day we picked it up. Been to the shop 3 times to have it fixed with bills adding up to more than a grand. All I can see is my $$$$$ out the window.

I just love being in a JEEP.