Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Worst car I ever Owned
By Chris

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I bought the car with 25,000 miles. I have 92,000.00. Between 55,000 and 92,000 I have replaced rear end, two power steering units, 2 water pumps, and transmission. I have a 96 Honda Accord with 190,000 I gave to my daughter I've replaced tires and a battery.

Seats are comfortable, Nice on long trips.

Do not buy a Jeep. Unless you like visiting your repair shop.

Great SUV
By Brian

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Owned this vehicle for 5 years, 80K miles. Great on gas (compared to other mid-size SUVs). Very reliable. Great in the snow, much better than my 2000 Mountaineer. Only problem - had to have power lock motors replaced on 2 doors.

Stability, 4x4 system, nice rims.

The doughnut spare tire is a pain - takes up space in the cargo area, blocks the view, and is basically worthless. I prefer full size spares under the cargo area, or in the cargo area floor.

Guess I got lucky
By David

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It has over 162K on it and still runs great. I have to replace the brake rotors too often but other than that it's been very reliable. It failed to get me to my destination only twice. Once, with about 20K miles, the float in the gas tank failed, resulting in an inaccurate gas tank reading. Consequently I ran out of gas. Then at about 155K the ignition switch failed so it wouldn't start. I'm going to keep it until it dies! I do some minor off roading, nothing too tough - more ruts and rocks than anything else. I have the V6, and it gets 17-19 MPG.

Reliability, room, all weather traction, outside temperature reading.

Fun to Drive!
By jcooperdj

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this off a good friend who drove it on the highway alot with 112,00 now 18 months later it has 122,000. Really no repairs have been done and it just started on its 3rd set of tires. Seal between transfer case and tranny replaced. Door speakers are junk I have replaced all 4 but the rest rocks! NOISY on the highway from either tires or differential.

Sun roof, 5.9 motor, stereo, just fun to drive.

Speakers, fix the ROAD NOISE please.

1998 Laredo 4WD Just Right!
By brianpsu

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have been driving my Jeep for over 5 years with no major problems at 78,000 miles. As some other reviewers mentioned, my main problem has been that the sway bar needing relaced twice. Definitely a weak spot, but at $100 replacement, not worth a slam. Living in Pennsylvania, I love the go anywhere capability of the Jeep. Put it in Full Time 4WD and I don't have to worry about hitting some dry pavement either. If the going gets really tough, there is always the Part Time 4WD. The best part is that Jeep has not sold-out to the button, I know that my 4WD is locked in.

1) Go anywhere 4WD, not a wimpy mini-van style SUV. 2) One of the most comfortable vehicles I have been in. 3) "Just Right" size. Big enough to go on a trip, small enough to squeeze through tight spots. 4) Body-side cladding keeps rocks and road debris from scratching the paint.

1) Whats up with the bad sway bars? 2) Spare takes up too much cargo area (moved underneath in new models). 3) Deeper or tighter cup-holders. 4) Removing headrests to folddown rear seats gets to be a pain.