Used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Love this car!
By rebecca

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this new and used to drive it 2 hours back and forth to work. It made the wretched commute tolerable. Now, I use it for my dog car. With 103K miles on it, the extended warranty has expired and that makes me nervous. So I'm thinking about selling it. It has been very reliable, and the repairs that were necessary were covered under the warranty. I highly recommend Grand Cherokees - this is my second one.

My favorite features are the remote audio controls, the compass and outside thermometer and the fact that you can lock the doors with the engine running. This keeps my doggies safe and comfy on hot days when I take them on errands.

GREAT 5.9
By FRANK

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have an Acura and a 5.9 Jeep and the Jeep is much plusher and less troublesome than the Acura. Both have the same miles 50-60k. The rpm on the Jeep could be higher to get a little more power it shifts at 4450rpm. It’s a fun car to drive and the only serious drawback is mileage -- 12.5 to 20.

Plush seats, acceleration, fit and finish. The car has run very good with everything still working fine.

Fuel mileage, choppy ride.

ok for in city
By Sarah

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Grand Cherokee when I was in college and thought the world of it. It has gotten me through some big snow storms -- I live in Minnesota, land of the cold and snow. One good thing so far is that I have not had to replace the battery and the Jeep is 7 years old, but I also have a block heater in it. I have been in 2 accidents with the Jeep, one I just nipped a car trying to do a tight parking, good thing -- not a scratch on the jeep; bad thing -- it did a lot of damage to the other car. The second accident was on the highway; busy one at that. The whole front of the Jeep had to be replaced. It was hit from the side too but the side didn't have a scratch on it.

Enjoy the speakers, roominess, comfort, and great 4WD in the winter.

The serpentine belt has been changed twice since I got it. The brake pads and rotors had to be done after 7 years -- not too bad considering I live in a city where the hills are pretty steep. The fuel is my biggest problem; it eats it away -- it's a guzzler.

Everything you need
By jerryo12

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep with 41,000 miles and now have 90,000. I have have done no major repairs; only brakes and tires - water pump is getting a slow leak though. Very powerful and fun to drive. I used to update vehicles every 2 years but this one has everything I need so I don't need to upgrade. Luxuries match those in expensive luxury cars! Performs great in snow in mud as well as on road. Very comfortable vehicle as long as only 2 people or 4 short ones.

Audio controls on steering wheel are in perfect position, power, all the features, comfort and style.

More room to fit 4 tall people comfortably. Tire out of the cargo area, better gas mileage.

Departed Friend
By Kyle

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently totaled my Jeep Grabd Cherokee. I had 165,465 miles on it. It was absolutely reliable until 150,000 miles when the power steering, starter, and catalytic converter went out. I bought it with 7k miles on it and it was the best vehicle I ever owned. Wife is now driving the 2005 Grand Cherokee. I also had the problem with the differentials. Don't let the dealer scare you! They pressured me at 90,000 miles to replace them. Well at 165,000 miles they were still holding up. I also did not let them mess with the transmission.

Select Trac, moonroof, 4.0L engine.

Engine; redesign for mileage.