Used 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Hey they arn't so bad...
By JamiePfef

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Well this was my first car that I paid for myself. I'm currently 19 and have had my Jeep for something like almost 2 years. Its the bright red Laredo that I pretty much see everywhere! I love the look of it, it's very sporty. I bought it from a credible Dodge dealer near me and it had around 80,000 miles on it. I got it for a little over $7,000. It was in perfect condition, everything was working fine. So far I have replaced my water pump and that's pretty much it. My rear parking brake broke off randomly and was clanking around in my wheel, got that taken care of but never fixed my parking brake. So it hasn't been too bad for me.

Love its look...probably the best Jeep body design made.

Improve wheel handling on turns - it gets a bit sketchy.

Excellent Vehicle
By Chetster72

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

This was the first Jeep I had ever purchased. I have been so impressed with the quality and reliability since then, that I have purchased 2 more and kept my original one. They are rugged, comfortable and very reliable. I chose the I6 4.0L motor, it has plenty of power and is one of the most durable ever built.

Full Time AWD is awesome, heated seats, power moonroof, Infinity Stereo, The Orvis model has everything.

Speakers that handle more watts, I have blown out 3 speakers so far. Otherwise, the vehicle has been fantastic, I have owned the first one since '99 and still drive it daily.

These cars last forever
By Mark Paul

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned a previous Jeep Laredo 4WD and had over 208,000 miles on it when I sold it for $2,850.00 last week. This one just turned 200,000 miles and runs perfectly. Very dependable and good looking. Excellent value for the money. I paid $4000.00 for a loaded model and everything works.

Style, power, reliability, 4WD, easy to maintain, great resale value if maintained.

Better AC ducting, needs remote garage door opener built in.

Accident "first hand"
By Dwayne Rothrock

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I was involved in a near head on collision with a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix going high speed on 1/26/06. My Jeep was totaled, but I managed to walk away with no cuts, or broken bones, suffering only neck & back strains. Thanks to Jeep for building such a safe vehicle. You saved my life.

Nice 2 drive...
By bluepenguin

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I purchased this used vehicle just about a year ago ... (lol knock on wood) so far ZERO problems . The ONLY thing I can say negative about this SUV is gas usage, but that is an EXPECTED given with driving a large vehicle. Overall so far, I am very happy with this vehicle and would absolutely recommend it.

The overall design, interior and exterior, very comfortable seating and "roomy".

My only 'problem' is the rear window wiper ... tends to go too far down and needs adjustment . (Mechanic stated that he has seen that a lot on this style).