Used 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Love it
By Rob9512

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought as a second vehicle for winter/save miles on other car. Love this thing. Fun to drive, full time 4wd, good power, comfortable interior, ect. Probably one of my favorite vehicles to drive. Has been reliable so far, it's a Jeep so I expect nothing less than very reliable and thus far is exactly what I've got.

5.2L V8, very different feel from more modern V8's like the 4.7. Lots of down low torque. 3:73 rear end. Full time 4wd. Plenty of room inside while feeling like a small, nimble suv.

Don't make them anymore, wish they still did. Would buy another one when/if this one ever quits on me. Like these much better than the old ones.

220,000 miles and still going !!!!!
By Shane

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV

I have had my jeep over 10 years no major problems...just minor things...very comfortable...I have 220,000 miles and still going...I want a newer one but I just want to see how long this one will last...highly recommend one...

very dependable...very soft seats...body has held up very well...paint also..

gas mileage not so good...headliner falls down...

Great 4 the $$$
By Marshizzle

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep around Christmas 07 and its been a daily driver since. 255k when I bought it, now has 298k &still runs like hell. The 4.0 is bullet proof and so is the rest of the machine. I frequent the local mudhole/trails and drive this Jeep. It gives me no problems and will not get stuck. I also have a 96 limited Jeep w/ a 5.2 & all pwr that gives me constant problems, so stick with the simple model. Remember to change the fluids!

the durability...

the shocks on the rear gate are bad. this is a common problem w both of my jeeps and many friends jeeps that i know of..

Nice
By Ken

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I got mine in 99 with about 60k on it. Mine is equipped with the 5.9 and the quadradrive, full time 4 wheel drive. this thing is your foul weather friend and nearly unstoppable. It just rolled 290,000 last weekend and with regular maintenance there is another 200k left in it. I still have the factory water pump factory fuel pump and original transfer case. Change your fluids my friends. It has never let me down and really never broke except for the A/C in 04 but who cares. I go off road and play in the mud so I beat this old thing. I tow with it including one 250 mile trip with a 8000 pound trailer way way over the weight limit and aside from poor breaking no heat issues. well worth it.

Old iron V8. well thought out design. Solid axle in front. CV boots in nuckles, low maint.

Bigger brakes. Much bigger brakes. Aftermarket aluminum radiator. Synthetic fluids. Change that transfer case once a year.

reliable
By Perian Dunmire

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I bought it from a private owner. It has approximately 130,000 miles. Drives well. It does not have very good mpg. As it is a v8. I have put brakes on it and new a. C. I feel it is a reliable vehicle, but with the unsure gas prices, it is scary.

The sound system is excellant. the wheels are top-notch. also has a sunroof. lots of power. plus, power everything.

Do have or have had problems with the computer system. It tells you something is wrong and it isn't.