Used 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Engine Just Keeps Running
By Jeep driver

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4dr SUV 4WD

One of the most durable cars we've ever owned! Cast iron block engine refuses to die making this a low-cost vehicle to own. I believe they changed in the model years to follow. If you're looking for a cheap SUV that is super reliable, take a 2nd look at this model. With 297,000 miles on the original engine and tranny, it showed no signs of quitting. If it hadn't gotten moisture/mold on the interior carpet, we'd still have it. The insurance company would not replace the carpet, and decided to total it out. We paid $3400 for it, drove for 7 years, and totaled for $2500. How's that for retained value! I should add that a mechanic once told me that he had customers with well over 400,000 miles on this model-year!!

What a ride
By David Wayne Given

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

What a spectacular vehicle. It has been with me many miles. I drove it to Florida and back then to California and all around Green River in the winter of 2015. Then from Green River back home. It has been my entertainment center, my dinning room, my bedroom, my changing room, my home away from home my refuge in the wilderness and in times of trouble my sanctuary where I have prayed and poured my heart out to God in supplication and fervent prayers during times of trouble

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo 2x4
By Joshua Bagby

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I inherited this truck with 193,000 I travel 50 miles a day to work and back home so 25&25 I work 50hrs a week 5-6 days a week. Now at 196,000 miles in only months I just spent $500.00 to repair 2 transmission leaks and 5/6 cylinders were misfiring all repaired for 500.00 engine was recently rebuilt so that's a plus but the truck will shake in the rear and then stall out and I was told this is occurring because the Computer is not sending the proper codes to the vehicle which is causing the issue I found the computer for the truck online 350.00 trucks and install is unknown so I would have to say I have 2 options prepare to put out nearly 3000,00 for a transmission rebuild and computer change out or selling as is this vehicle is only valued at 2000,00 with the engine rebuild and transmission rebuild so when all is said and done this truck is a long term money pit. that I am really not interested in paying out for.

Jeep
By Brandon

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Well this jeep is highly dependable, but there are quite a few sensors that tend to go bad and cause it to stall/lose power/misfire. Main things I have had to replace are Crankshaft Position sensor, fuel pump, and Idle air control valve. Gas mileage is great for a 1997 SUV. If you own one make sure you do a lot of research if something is going wrong with it. I have found tons of help from jeep forums guiding me to what my problem is.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!
By Leslie

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSi 4dr SUV 4WD

This jeep has put me through hell. It's my first car and I got it for a great price, and now I see why. Car stalls constantly. Replaced the starter for $90 to figure out it was just a wire pinched for the alarm system. throttle position sensor replaced for no reason at all $80. Doesn't run in weather under 60°. Gas mileage is a JOKE. 2 speakers blow, 1 on its way, and I wouldn't be surprised if the 4th started going soon. Radio barely picks up a signal. Runs amazing on certain days, however my 1st to 2nd shift is very rough, and revs up to 4000+ when pushed too hard. DO NOT invest in this hunk of junk. Save your money, it's an unreliable never ending headache.