Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Jeep - never again
By 1996 Jeep Grand Cher

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I have the 4.0 liter, 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Had 65,000 K when I bought it. Worst car I have ever owned. I am shopping for a replacement now. I have replaced catalytic convertor twice, out again. Cracked exhaust manifold, hoses, radiator,crank shaft sensor (going out again I believe), idle motor also. Have to hit starter 6 to 8 times to connect. I am 64 years old and put 5,000 miles on it a year..so rough treatment is not the excuse.

great ride
By dave67@pennswoods.ne

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Owned my Jeep for more than ten years towed 23 ft fishing boat for 8 of them this Jeep is amazing I have over three hundred and thirty thousand and have done very little I replaced tranns at three hundred thou along with one front axel one rear originally water fuel and power steering pumps I have used Lucas products and I highly recommend a buying a Jeep busing Lucas oil products I cant tell you enough great things about this Jeep put a set of bf all terrains she handles like no other ac always cold even with as many miles as I have on it

v8 power comfortably the way it handles towing is great

don't really have any thing to complain about

My poor Jeep
By Great SUV!

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Bought my beloved Jeep GC with 107k miles. The good far outweighed the bad. 24+ mpg highway with the inline 6 and auto transmission. Would haul anything I put in it (1200lbs of Pavers) or towed behind it. Water poured in by the passenger A pillar while raining, brake rotors warped easily, power locks worked most of the time. It never left me stranded even though I used the heck out of it with little maintenance. As it was "dying" something would fail ONLY at the end of a long trip **after arrival**. A trans fluid line to the oil cooler blew off at 192k miles and the trans was toast, but it still drove me safely to a parking lot and out of traffic. My poor Jeep was good to me. <snif>

Very efficient for an SUV, small size compared to huge monsters on the road today. I called it the "mini-me SUV". Could stretch out in the back with the seats down on a long trip and saved hundreds avoiding hotels.

I didn't find any one thing particularly lacking, and I drove it a LOT without babying it and minimal maintenance.

MY WORKHORSE
By jerrymax

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo from my neighbor in Dec. 2007 and have put 21,000 miles on it. I've taken it to upstate NY 21 times, a 600 mile round trip. Only got stranded once when the water pump seized up on a trip to Pennsylvania. Snapped the serpentine belt. Had to replace H2O pump, belt, tensioner and radiator. Car severely overheated but it did not damage the cast iron engine, an indestructible workhorse of a motor. No other problems. With 158,500 miles it still runs like a freight train. Always starts. I have the Quadra-Trac system, full-time AWD. On a recent road trip at 65 mph without the AC running I averaged 20.3 mpg. I use 89 octane so it runs cleaner. Great old car.

Classic timeless Jeep look, square and functional. Go-anywhere confidence from the 4-wheel drive capabilities of the vehicle. Handles well in any weather conditions. High vantage point and lots of window exposure for great visibility on the road.

Placement of tire inside the vehicle wasted space but they fixed that long ago. From what I'm hearing the newer Jeep Grand Cherokees don't measure up to the old ones in terms of reliability. Might I suggest they resume production of the old 4.0 litre inline-6 motor that I have in my 1996 model?

Ya man it's a jeep
By Cale Unruh

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is a very good vehicle. It has lots of power, great for offroading,and it's good for the highway. The person before me didn't take very good care of it but I have put some money into it and now it runs great. I had to replace the transmission, the water pump, and the alignment was a little screwy when I bought. I'm very glad I bought it over a truck I was looking at. I recommend this vehicle to anyone who doesn't care about gas mileage. I get about 16 mpg.

4x4, heated seats, sunroof, 5.2L V8 engine,

I wouldn't change a thing. This vehicle is perfect the way it is. This jeep is a beast.