Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Tired of this jeep
By 1996 Jeep Grand Cher

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this jeep but I am tired of having one thing after another go wrong. I've had the transmission rebuilt, the motor in the rear door replaced, the rear window on the drivers side can't be rolled down because it doesn't like to go back up. I've got an oil leak and am constantly putting oil into it. The AC leaks and has been recharged twice since I've owned it. I recently had the fuel pump and distributor cap replaced along with the drive shaft. And it's going back to the shop tomorrow to figure out what the loud "click click click" noise is that causes lots of staring, possibly the CV joint, who knows how much it'll cost this time. I think it's time for a trade in.

I love driving it, I just wish it wasn't so needy.

194,000 and still running
By Mouseman

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 182,000 on it for $1250.00. Had to rebuild the transmission in April of 2010, but since then it has been running great.

Comfortable seats, nice stereo, and a great engine. Haven't had to touch the engine since I bought it.

None

Reliability to the extreme
By crhern

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I inherited my Jeep as a gift, it had 210,000 miles on it and everything was still original. Its an inline 6 limited now it has 240,000 miles on it and only the fuel pump and the radiator have been replaced everything else is still good. As many people say move the spare tire! Its annoying I've seen a few grand Cherokees where the spare is mounted on the liftgate like any other SUV and the rear window doesn't open other than those two things its awesome good power and ride, comfortable I'm definitely getting another Jeep in the future so is the girlfriend

easy to maintain, seats, compass thing, my sound system i've put in is amazing

ac overhead panel (shakes when music is loud) spare tire, I personally wouldn't have put in fake wood trim changing soon

Best of the beasts
By Squash

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I liked the 1996 so much that I now keep it in the garage as my reliable spare. It is great on and off road. For the do it DIY guy, this is the perfect vehicle. The downfalls of the vehicle are the transmission, the air conditioning, and the rear wiper. The remainder of the vehicle is superb.

Off road capability, exterior, interior, fun and comfortable to drive.

Transmission was horrible, replaced at 100K and 200K. I expect to replace it at 300K. I removed the air conditioning.

Thank God it was a Jeep!
By Sam

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Best truck EVER! Bought as a traded in lease with 40K miles on her and very few problems. Crossed the country towing a trailer, trucked across the outback of New Mexico no problems. This Jeep did it all with ease. handed her down to my son who beat the crap out of it and still ran great with over 225K miles on her she saved my son's life when a wrong way driver hit him in a 160 mph head on collision.The Jeep stood up to the test and not even the windshield broke, my son walked away with one broken arm. I'm sorry to say the other driver was not so lucky, may he rest in peace. I bet his family wished they gave their son a jeep. I'm looking for my next one now.

select trac tranny saves on gas, very reliable engine, mine was a straight 6 4wd