Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Excellent Vehicle
By Lynn

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I've had my Jeep for over two years now and have had no problems. I'm so impressed with Jeep. Reliability is a must for me and this has been an excellent vehicle for this military single parent. I'm a Jeeper for life!

I love the fact that you can fold the back seats down and pretty much load anything into it. It's so nice not to have to rent a U-haul or try and find a friend with a truck!

I like the body style of the '05 and even though I'm getting the 2005, I think Jeep was wrong to take the spare tire from the inside, it took space away from storage and the versatility of being able to just take the spare tire out and have that much more room. But in all I love this vehicle!

Leaky Jeep!
By P V C

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Lived in Japan for a while; bought and shipped a Jeep (with 56,000 miles) when I returned to US. After over a year of ownership and 5,000 miles of driving, I have taken it to a 5-star Chrysler dealer for numerous reasons: busted CV boots, leaking transmission lines, leaking valve cover... what's next? Is it the vehicle that's unreliable, or is it the mechanics that work on it? Just waiting for the right time to take it for trade in.

Excellent sound system! I like the leather interior and automatic features.

Chrysler needs to improve the quality of their Jeep components. Make more reliable Jeeps, or hire more reliable mechanics at the dealerships.

If You Can Afford to Run It
By antbloom

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

In Australia the Jeep Grand Cherokee is sold as a premium vehicle with a price to match. Even 1996 models sell at dealers for over $18,000. My experience has not been a happy one; luckily the dealer gave me a 3 year unlimited warranty. All sorts of rattles, whines and leaks plague this car which the dealer seems unable to fix. My advice is admire someone else's Jeep and buy a Toyota.

Style, power, features.

Dealer education.

keep your money
By kds2

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I saw this vehicle and it looked like a good car. Well, I could not have been more wrong. At 90k the transmission needed a full rebuild. At 95k the 4x4 went out along with the exhaust needing replaced. Keep in mind this Jeep never went off road. We only drove it when there was snow in the ground. Shortly thereafter both axles needed replacing. By this point we had had enough. We sold it for $4000 under valuation just to get rid of the thing. Buying that thing was the biggest mistake we have made to date. It just made me realize how much I missed my Nissan Pathfinder. If I were you I would pay a bit more for the Pathfinder ... I think you will be happier in the long run.

The tires are fairly inexpensive, and the tow hooks came in pretty handy (more so than I would like to admit). The a/c worked great. The on board compass was helpful at times. The premium stereo wasn’t too shabby either. Sadly, the bad outweighs the good.

Make the Jeep reliable! The tranny is most questionable. It’s pretty squirrelly on the highway at high speed. The clear coat should last longer than 100k. The axles should last more than 95k miles! Overall it’s just a bad choice.

Love My Jeep
By Love My Jeep

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 118+K miles on my Jeep and the only thing that has gone wrong is the water pump. During last year's snow storm in Kentucky, I pulled out two 18 wheelers and 23 other cars and trucks. It's like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going, and going. I'm debating whether to keep it for another three or four years or trade it in on a newer model.

Its power. It'll climb a mountain or cross a river.

Gas mileage.