2017 Jeep Compass Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Jeep Compass Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Compass model:

9,000 miles and all the lights leak!
By Gary

2017 Jeep Compass All New Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

On Dec. 2, 2017, I noticed considerable condensation in the driver-side daytime running light. I took it to the dealership and they said the part was on nationwide backorder (a month later and I’m still waiting on the part). I mentioned something to the effect that this must be a pretty common problem, given the unavailability of the part. The parts-person said, “Yeah.” Then yesterday, as I walked around the back of the car, I noticed condensation in all four of the taillight housings! Unbelievable. Personally, I feel that moisture in a housing that contains electrical connections is a recipe for disaster and multiple headaches in the future. I belong to a Jeep Compass user forum on Facebook, and MANY other Compass owners are experiencing the same issue, so this appears to be widespread. I’d be VERY cautious about buying one of these vehicles until Jeep learns how to build watertight components.

Loving this car so far
By Makenzie

2017 Jeep Compass All New Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I love this car! Drives heavy like a luxury vehicle and has a lot of premium finishes but didn't break my budget. Some of the technology features take a little while to get used to and I don't get as great of gas milage as I was expecting (but I rarely drive on the highway and have a hilly commute everyday) but it's been a great choice so far. Everyone that has ridden in the backseat say it's very comfortable and there is lots of room. The cargo space is smaller than I expected but since the back seats fold flat it hasn't been an issue at all.

400 miles on it and regretting it.
By Gerard Kraus

2017 Jeep Compass All New Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Not all compasses are created equal. I opted for undercoating, was given a loaner which was brand new and exact model and it was great. Not so with the one I purchased. Put 400 miles on both the loaner and my car. I CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE! The car I got has issues with driver door panel warpage, wind noise/cabin noise and engine/exhaust noise, none present in the loaner vehicle. I could not swap them out.. The gas mileage stinks. 16-17 mpg when advertised average is 25mpg. The muffler is getting noisier and it is brand new. Heard there is a recall on it but nothing official yet. The dealer is evasive and is just plain lying about the noise issues. Not done pursuing remedies with the dealership or Jeep Chrysler. I hope to get some resolution. I am just sick about this. I am disabled and being taken advantage of. The Chrysler Jeep people are helping me with this, but the dealer is "independently owned and operated", which I have heard 100 times. The best we can do is discourage people from buying Jeep as there should not be these problems on a new car. Quality control? What's that?. BUY A DIFFERENT BRAND! In mourning.......

Jeep Compass Trailhawk needs a push up the hill!
By Rich

2017 Jeep Compass All New Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I recently test drove a 2017 Jeep Compass Trailhawk. I wanted a small, all-around SUV that would especially get me up skiing. Took it for my usual test drive up I-70 to see how it would perform on the uphill grade. With the pedal to the metal I could barely manage 70mph. Thought I was going to have to get out and push. Absolutely anemic. This vehicle might work in city traffic and for flat-landers but in the mountains, forget it.

Don't listen To The "Low Pep Engine" Hype!
By MDL

2017 Jeep Compass All New Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Here is my 2 cents on the 2017 Compass. First of all, I'm a long time Jeep user, around 12 of them over the years, so I considered gas millage when shopping for my new Jeep. The Trail Hawk Compass I purchased gets over 30 MPG HWY when driven with MPG in mind. What I mean is no heavy acceleration when passing or climbing hills, just ease into any acceleration scenario. At any rate, I've read reviews where folks complain about the acceleration, but one has to get used to pushing the accelerator with this new Compass. Believe me, if you punch the gas this thing is plenty peppy, it's just a matter of getting used to how much to gas it. They have installed a 4 cylinder engine for good MPG so getting used to the 9 speed transmission and how to punch the pedal takes a while, but this thing has plenty of pep. Also, I don't understand why folks complain about the stop/start feature that the compass boasts.... It works perfectly for fuel savings and can be turned off at the press of a button.... I love my compass and for the MPG I get I'd say it's a great vehicle for any type of travel outside pulling a heavy trailer load, but isn't that why they make trucks? I purchased a factory lifetime bumper to bumper warranty for $3,500, so warranty options are a huge plus. Take a chance on the Compass and enjoy its great sound system, comfort (for SUV), stylish looks, and killer interior, you won't be sorry.