Used 2008 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Commander

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Love my commander
By phranican

2008 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Love my commander. sold a grand Cherokee with 120K miles and said what the heck I'll take another jeep. Love the exterior, based on the original Cherokee and the interior is very comfy, leather is awesome. I purchased with 10K mile, at 32K now, not a single problem so far. I don't gun it, don't brake hard probably why i average 16 mile per gallon. It's a great ride, very quiet. highly recommend if you need a truck and don't want to pay out the rear.

affordable, looks awesome/rugged, auto-start (great in winter), 18" wheels, hard drive/dvd, rain sensing wipers, auto high beams, leather seats, power when i need it and hitch for my mtn bike rack, what else, oh yeah, USA USA USA!

Windshield gets a lot of bugs, fuel economy could be better.

So far so great!
By psr

2008 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Got this as a hand me down from the wife. I am a pretty big guy, so I appreciate the room up front. I also like gadgets, so the hard drive, GPS and tv screens rock! The kids feel like kinds in the back. As everyone else says, the view in the rear is horrible with the 3rd row up. But, with the sensor and the camera, I fail to see this as a significant loss. Between the windows and the mirrors, I feel the vision is excellent otherwise. Adults in the back seat? Forget about it. Unless they are tiny. The smooth, quiet ride is impressive. Almost spoils you. The outside look is sporty.

Room up front. Lots of gadgets. Smooth, quiet ride.

Better gas mileage, of course. Wish there were just a few more inches space in the second row.

Good Stuff
By bundy30

2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This has been an amazing truck for my wife and kids. Safe, good looking, dependable. We have never had a single problem in 33,000 miles.

Big open feel inside, good 4 wheel drive system. Strong engine,

Make the stability control defeatable

Take the Bad with the Good I Guess
By oldjeepdriver

2008 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought 2008 Commander Limited 4.7 as a "executive use" car never titled with 15,000 miles in Dec 08. Right away the mygig went dead, took two trips to fix, then sat antenna wiring fried and had to have headliner removed to repair. First trip on the highway noticed vibration at 70+ mph. Back to the dealership 3 times, finally had torque converter replaced, vibration not as bad but still there. Now dealership is closed due to Jeep's financial woes. If it is raining, don't let down the the front windows because water will flood in and forget trying to see a traffic signal with the near vertical front window. On the plus side, front seats are comfy and roomy, sound system is excellent.

DVD system, rear air, sound systems, excellent brakes, solid feel to steering, great hazardous weather driving manners. Kids like theater seat and two mini-sunroofs in back. Remote start and tailgate features are nice adds. Backup warning saved me a dented bumper once already.

Fix the front driveline vibrations (there are a LOT of posts online with the same problem), fix the problem with water pouring in thru windows from rain puddling on roof. Improve mygig reliability. Auto-dimming headlights blind oncoming drivers before dimming so I don't even use them.

Great Intention/ Bad assembly
By Bill

2008 Jeep Commander Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought 2008 Jeep Commander from Used Hertz car sales with warranty 14800 miles. The first problem after 1 month was complete electrical failure of the vehicle. Under warranty they reprogrammed the vehicle but would not give me reciept anything was done till I demanded 2 times from JEEP. Hertz actually stuck up for me. Four months later while going through Iowa the top of the windshield seal blew off for under head winds of about 40mph. Jeep dealership tried to say windshield had been replaced. Hertz stuck up for me again and proved it had not and had it fixed. I still love the Jeep though. I think there are quality control problem but vehicle is still very very nice.

I love the leather interior, dash, satilite radio and style

Quality of durability of overall assembly. I would love to buy another one and know, regardless of cost the whole package is worthy, Please fix either parts or the assembly process, I LOVE JEEP