Used 2007 Jeep Commander SUV Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Jeep Commander SUV

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Perfect for a Family
By sbitterle

2007 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

2007 Jeep Commander, have owned it now for a year.
Purchased it used, so somebody else took the depreciation in value.
This truck is a tank.
It will go through any kind of weather, terrain.
Love it.
Our family of 5 rides comfortably in it.
Less room than our old Caravan, but this vehicle weighs twice as much.
I feel better knowing that my family has 6800lbs of metal around them.
Can't comment on the leaking issue, as mine doesn't have a sunroof.
Gas millage is not the greatest, but I knew that buying it.
Bottom line, if you want a durable, safe truck....This ones for you.
NOTE:
I do regular fluid changes on engine, trans, rear end diff.....So have not had any reliablity issues.

3rd row seat, great for my 8 year old Great stereo Auto 4 wheel drive

Not so much a Jeep as the old ones.
By johntesh71

2007 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used in 2010 with 50,000 miles. Had the radiator cooling fans go out one month after I bought it and then the Shifter broke costing me $200 dollars to fix. Took it off roading and nearly destroyed the front fender...Hit a patch of snow at 25 mph and slid all 4 wheels spinning for 90 feet through traffic...blew the rear strut assembly driving over a speed bump then ended up only getting 17 mpg on average costing me almost $6000 dollars a year in gas....I recommend finding an older Cherokee or Grand Cherokee and sticking with that this thing was a nightmare for me and my family glad were trading it in for a Dodge...good ridance.

Very good off road nothing much else

Pentastar 3.6L V6 under the hood would have made this Jeep amazing, Less of the old boxy SUV look...And for god sakes make this thing able to handle a bit better in snow like the new Grand Cherokees can.

Loved My Jeep
By lovemyjeep4

2007 Jeep Commander SUV Overland 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased used, Limited with Hemi in 2008 for $22k with 19K miles !
(Original sticker was $41K Fully Loaded with all the trimmings.
Practically stole it as gas was over $4 per gallon when I bought it.
Best car I ever owned!
No major problems.
Drivier power window motor replaced - that's it in 4 years.
No transmission problems.
Due to loss of job, sold this past weekend for $17k.
Practically ZERO depreciation.
Can't wait to buy another one!
Would recommend to anyone.

The extras. When traveling long distances, the extras really make the car worth it. Very comfortable for long drives.

"Transmission Over Temp"
By Chris

2007 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My Jeep has left me stranded 4 times, only to befuddle the mechanics, simply Google the message "Transmission Over Temp" and you'll see the many, many people who have experienced this UNFIXABLE KNOWN PROBLEM that Jeep dealerships have no idea how to address. The most recent dealer to attempt to diagnose the problem stated that they will not look at it if it happens again. They actually told me to take it elsewhere. Do class action attorneys read these reviews?

I actually like the comfort, style, etc. of the car, can't keep it though. It continues to strand me (2 times starting a few hours later, 2 times being towed to JEEP dealerships) and I'm get shrugs from the JEEP dealerships. Each has stated it would cost hundreds in diagnostics and I won't pay it.

Find what causes the UNFIXABLEW KNOWN PROBLEM and advise dealers as to the fix...

Not sure yet
By jordanggg

2007 Jeep Commander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a Jeep Commander 4x4 4 months ago and have put 8,000 miles on it. Bought with 19,000 miles on it. 2 days after purchase, Jeep spent 9 days in the shop with transmission problem. Dealer is/was awesome. Since then no issues, average 17.5 miles per gallon. Tight handling, solid build quality. The quality seems great. Can fit 7-8 people for a comfortable 2-3 hr trip. Roomy, and very capable in any driving condition. Very safe, and is great looking. We would recommend it.

Feels like you are driving a combat vehicle. Controls and feel are great. Easy to use cargo/seating. Tall, acceptable MPG, great handling. Super tight.

Would like to get 20 MPG. Sluggish acceleration. 3.7 V6 seems a tad underpowered. Windshield is virtually straight up and down making it a bug magnet.