Used 2006 Jeep Commander SUV Consumer Reviews - 296 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Commander SUV

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Maybe I'm just unlucky
By cpr4cpu

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned just about every model Jeep prior to '06 so I know what to expect from my Jeeps (or so I thought). I have all service performed at the dealership. This car has spent more time in the shop than every other Jeep I have owned COMBINED! I have had 2 computer modules replaced, had the transmission replaced, had 5...yes FIVE new nav radio systems (each time I have to pay Sirius another transfer fee), had the 4wd wiring harness short out, dead electrical system left me stranded, a burst fuel line molded through the firewall (that was a doozey of a repair bill), and now I find myself stranded 900 miles from home because the 4WD system decided not to talk to the main computer any longer

Rides smooth, quiet, and comfortable... when it is road worthy. The radio/NAV is sweet. I like the heated power seats, one touch window all the way up/down, and the rear temp. controls. Theater seating, all seats fold to form a completely flat rear cargo area. Engine is just awesome, lots of power

Lose the back jump seats and move the second row back a foot. Overall I would keep this car forever if it would not strand me ever again. Strand me once, shame on me; strand me twice, shame on you; there will not be a third time Jeep, I am sorry but my trust in you is gone.

This Commander Rocks!
By ST8JEEP

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven my 06 Commander for a year and am really impressed. It rides and drives smoothly. Cargo space is great. I have hauled 8 ft 4x4 lumber with the tailgate shut. Off road driving is amazing. Drove through 12 inches of snow in a corn field with no problems!

Third row seating. Plenty of power for towing. Great off road!

Gas mileage.

Shame on Chrysler
By upset owner

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

ent $40,000 on this Jeep and after 2 years the problems started: 1. Headlights burned out with in the 1st year (not covered due to mileage) 2. Power Windows switch replaced twice in fists two years (covered by warranty) 3. Lights on heater control burned out in 2 years (not covered due to mileage) $250 to fix 4. Parking Asst. quit working after 3 years (not covered due to mileage) $500 to fix. 5. Knob on GPS quit working and can no longer use the GPS (not covered due to mileage) $1000 to replace. I talked to Chrysler about these problems and they basically told me too bad so sad. I asked them about the GPS and they told me to go buy a portable one.

none anymore

Get Better Electronics

No dip stick!!
By lisaray

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Was extremely upset to find that the transmission was leaking and went to check the oil and found that there was NO DIP STICK!! Will be getting rid of the vehicle soon. Will NEVER purchase another Jeep because of this. What if I was on the road and something went wrong w/ the vehicle and really needed to check my oil? Wow, out of luck. They sure do want to make sure to get your money. Love the vehicle, but never again.

Nice vehicle.

DIP STICK to check my oil.

Fuel Economy the worst!!!!
By rickyrick

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

My wife purchased the non hemi V8 with 0 miles back in 06. Very strong engine, quiet interior, very smooth ride. Solid distinguishable looks. exterior, however the interior pretty bland w/ too much plastics. This model is supposed to get phased out in the next couple years, we got rid of it do to the worst gas consumption this beast would take. even on all hwy cruising trips this rig got 14 miles to the gallon @ best(calculated an average of 10 miles a gallon one time as well, pretty pathetic) and w/such a small 18 gal gas tank, that didn't help matters any more as we were filling up @ the gas stations 2-3 times a week! Traded it in for a brand new Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 just recently!

heated leather seats, exterior color (Light Khaki), bold looks, strong engine, quiet interior for such a square looking vehicle. Trail Rated!!! sunroof w/ rear moonroof, back up sensors & 6 dics changer(until it broke down) tight steering for an SUV, 2nd row reclining seats were cool.

BIGGER GAS TANK and BETTER GAS MILEAGE!!, do away w/ the cheap interior plastics. the 3rd row seats are a joke(small & cramped) I believe this model will be dropped by Jeep in the next couple years. Better SUVs out there(Enclave, Equinox, CX9, Tahoe) Oh and did I mention the fuel economy issue?