Used 2006 Jeep Commander SUV Consumer Reviews - 296 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Commander SUV

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Problems
By kENNETH

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the commander in 4/07, in 7/09 my water pump went out at 37,000 miles. Which I had to replace cost me $1100.00, because the Chrysler corporation said it was past the manufacturer warranty of 36,000 miles it would not honor. At 38,000, right front wheel bearing went bad had to replace, $475.00. At 39,000, my sunroof started leaking. Now at 63,000 I have an electrical problem. When it rains and I turn my wipers or lights, they go out. Otherwise the vehicle is fine.

I don't keep cars but, this is a KEEPER!
By takes2tutango

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have had my 06 Commander now a month, am about to hit 50k miles and think I have finally found a vehicle I will keep for a very long time. After reading many reviews I hope I got one of the good ones as it seems that most either love or hate this vehicle with very little grey area for this SUV. I have had more trouble dealing with the dealership on things promised in the deal than with any other part of this purchase. It is NO wonder that the American car industry continues to be in the tank when they still seem to lack in customer service. Up until now I have owned Japanese and have had far better service. Now onto the Jeep Commander-I LOVE IT! All but the gas mileage. :( Fix the mpg's)

The list is to long. Turning radius, stereo, dvd system for kids, looks both interior and exterior. It's just one of the nicest vehicles for the price out there. I added a Magna flow exhaust and love the sound even more. Now the Hemi really sounds tough. Will be adding a K&N air kit.

Gas mileage! Even if they can come up with an aftermarket fix. It would be helpful. It could also use an auxilary jack for an ipod on the stereo.

Strong and safe
By Mike

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Well first let me tell you this is the best Jeep yet. The ride is really nice and all the safety features will help you if in a accident. People say this SUV is bad on gas, well I say lighten up on the gas pedal! This Commander get ok gas mileage for it's size, keep in mind there is alot of steel here. We have hear of others having issues with their Commander's but for us, it been 100% problem free. Our Commander has 65,000 miles on it and it drives the same as day 1. We travel alot and feel very safe in our Commander and in the future, we will buy another with out question. Would we recommend this SUV? The answer is yes but don't buy it if you expect the best gas mileage. It's very heavy!

Love everything about it. Fun to drive, we feel safe in it. We get alot of looks. Kids think it's really cool

The only thing we wish would br better is the rear view when the 3rd seating row is up. We wish gas mileage was a little better but really this is a very heavy truck, 5500 lbs plus add people you are over 6000 lbs. That why gas mileage is what it is.

best vehicle I've ever owned
By george

2006 Jeep Commander SUV 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Jeep in 2006 with 26 miles on it and basically have driven it crazy to the tune of 103,000 miles with no engine problems at all. Only negative I'd have to say is the Goodyear tires that came with the vehicle were awful, I replaced them with Fusion XTI and its been great since...keep up the scheduled maint. and it will keep running.

engine and reliability

better seat buckles

never again
By never again

2006 Jeep Commander SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my first and last Jeep. Lets start with interior there is no cargo room, you can't see anything out of the rear window, when you are at a traffic light you almost have to lay your chin on the dash to see the light, it sounds like the front end is falling out on every bump. Now to the milage WOW I get better mileage in my 1978 big block motorhome pulling a trailer than I do in this jeep just driving around town ! I put a K and N filter in and it didn't help at all. average city is 7-9 hiway is 13-14.5

The stereo is very loud and good quality sound. (Maybe to hide all the road noise) My kids love the sun roof above their seats. Goes very good in the snow.

Gas Milage, lose the headrest on rear seats so you can see