Used 2006 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews - 296 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Commander

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

2006 Commander is a dangerous vehicle
By Tjapukai

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

While I love the looks of this SUV, it is an unreliable and dangerous vehicle. We have had an excessive number of transmission issues, and 4wd issues which have been very inconvenient. Last Sat. though, while on the freeway going 75, our Commander downshifted and went into 4wd low, redlined the motor, and scrubbed off about 40 MPH. I was lucky that we were not hit by cars behind us. I am looking for any other experiences like this. I will never put my family back into this coffin on wheels! Protect your family. If you are having any issues with the drivetrain, it will most likely lead to this type of situation. This is just one of the many problems we have had with this hunk on tin. It's junk

The interior design is amazing. I love the leather and the shape of the dash.

Cancel the model

Thanks Son!
By Oscar

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle after my son suggested it to us. We were trading a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT when my son said check out the Commander. After a test drive and a great dealer price we have a great vehicle that is safe and fun to drive. If it wasn't for my son and his study of the vehicle I was looking at an GMC Envoy. Try this one and you will like it.

The interior is fantastic. You can get everyone in and no one is cramped. The stadium seating is awesome. The anti-skid is a little tricky, you can't fishtail. Trust me I have tried. Just great!

Third row! They need to figure out a way that you can have the third row up and still put some stuff in the back storage area. There's just no room! They were able to get rid of the air noise.

Side airbags may not deploy during roll
By Rubino

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV 4WD (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I've been a Jeep owner since 1985. I've loved and trusted them until Jan 2007 when I was sideswiped by a van while traveling 35-40pph on the highway. As the Commander spun, rolled, and violently hit the pavement, the driver seat and the top of the pax seat had no protection from the outter elements. Neither side airbag deployed. It was a horrifying incident which totalled the Jeep. The only life saver safety item that did its job properly was the seat belt. Had I not been wearing the federally mandated basic seat belt I would be dead.

Driver pedals could be manipulated up so a driver can sit far back in the driver area closer to the roll bar for safety.

Jeep has not tested the Commander for rollover accidents. They are ignoring the fact that they need to place sensors around roof edges to detect a roll over situation.

Easy SUV to drive
By JamesCommander06

2006 Jeep Commander 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned several SUV's and full size trucks and this thing rides better than any. It's got a better truning radius than most full size cars. I did have an issue right out of the start with the transmission down shifting hard into 2nd on deceleration. The dealer reset the computer and it went away. The gas mileage is also very poor averaging a little over 15 mpg mixed use. On long road trips the seat puts my legs to sleep and I get sharp pains in my legs. I wish I would have gotten the Hemi.

Ride, looks, and room. Awesome turning radius!

Gas mileage!

My Billboard
By Little Commander

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Not that you would, but don't buy this SUV for the third row or fuel economy. You will buy it for power and styling, well at least that is what I bought it for. I advertise my business on it and it has a great shape for this purpose. At least the 5.7 can still run fine on regular unleaded.

Styling, engine power, and decent handling.

Bigger gas tank and removable third row seats.