Used 2006 Jeep Commander Consumer Reviews - 296 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Commander

View reviews for a specific Commander model:

Diamond in the rough!
By D Nabob

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was looking for a used SUV for my wife and to use with a tow dolly. Scanning Crigeslist in the summer of 2015 I seen an opportunity buy on a 2006 4x4, 4.7 v8, (Base) with the tow package. The price was $2,800, that's correct, $2,800! With only 126k miles needless to say it needed some work, lol. I was the second caller and a high school aged female told me that if the first person didn't buy it she'd me call back. I thought, "Well that one's gone".

She does call me back and says that the first person wanted to bring his mechanic back for a second opinion, but didn't leave a deposit. The things that make you go hmmm, lol. I go and see the Commander and it needs some body work, the interior is filthy, both front door handles are broken, needs rear anti sway bar bushings, and has broken exhaust manifold bolts on both sides, which could be mistaken for upper valve train noise. The bodywork needed didn't effect the sheet metal, but only the front slip, one fender flare, and the rear bumper, which I was able to repair.

In ending, the majority of the work I did myself, like painting the front and rear bumpers and all fender flares with bedliner spray for about $75. Replacing both door handles, purchased from eBay for $65. I invested about $1,200 including fluid changes and a complete tuneup, which brought my total cost to about $4,000! Now that everything is done I cannot believe how well this vehicle drives and handles! I've owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee and in my opinion isn't as comfortable. This Commander was obviously neglected, but the engine and transmission are both smooth and responsive and the Tow / Haul feature is great. THIS COMMANDER IS BUILT TO LAST!

Don't ever buy a Jeep!
By whaiges

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We've had nothing but problems with our 2006 Jeep Commander. It was 1 year old and had less than 24,000 miles on it when we bought it. It looks great, but a pretty vehicle hides lots of problems. There is a design flaw in the drain tubes from the sun roof. The drain tubes are so small that they clog very easily and are very difficult to access to clean. When it's clogged, the water backs up through the hand-holds and drips into the cabin and soaks the floorboard. The door handles are attached to the plastic back of the door panel and they break easily and you have to replace the entire door panel. We've had to replace 3 of the 4 door panels to fix the doors so we can open them from the inside. Both front seats wear unevenly and cause the plastic panel concealing the seat adjustment mechanics to break. The leather seats crack and require custom seat covers or you'll have to shell out over $800 for a new replacement seat.

In short, Jeep should be ashamed of this product and we've decided that we will NEVER buy another Jeep product again!

Miss my Chreokee
By Marc Bruno

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

All in all, this is not a bad vehicle, but I've had some problems. I bought it used, so I can't say that I can fully judge the vehicle, that said, I had the transmission rebuilt at great time and expense. It seems the gear box was cracked, and Chrysler had only one replacement in the US, for a two week period. I had to get the computer re flashed last year, at significant expense, only to find that it would be recalled a year later. I read about the problem, and spoke to the service manager at the dealership when I had my problem. but he assured me that wasn't the problem with my Jeep. My radio, and navigation system stopped working some time ago, and replacement is too costly. As far as mileage, It's a good size SUV. It has punch, and I like it on the highway. It rides well, and It's fairly comfortable for a Jeep. Not a bad ride, but I miss my Jeep Cherokee.

Exceeds expectations, 5.7 hemi
By unclewilly1

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this Commander about 18 months ago with 140k miles. Limited, 5.7L 4x4 quadradrive-II. I am in North Carolina, Raleigh; I think this was a California car, that's where 'home' was on the GPS.

I love this Jeep, my third, two Grand Cherokees before (1998 & 2000), this is my favorite.

I do a lot of maintenance myself, or at least diagnose before going to the shop; never to the Jeep dealership if it can be helped.

I have not had to perform any non-maintenance activities since ownership.

My wife has our 2000 GC Larado 2WD with almost 200k miles (amazing relialibity) and I plan on upgrading to a (2015+) Grand cherokee 4wd Overland in the next 18 months or so.

Solid feeling. Quadadrive-II (made it backwards up a ice covered driveway with almost bald tires (still legal tread left, soon after purchase) and all way through the winter with a few multi-inch show days. I was amazed. The seats are great, I like the less bolstered seats. An, the visibility ( Commanding view ;) My first car with rearview camera, makes me feel a bit better in parking lot situations. Vary maneuverable in tight situations.

Since this car is no longer in production; it's kind of a gripe section. Just two items already echoed, gas mileage and shudder over potholes, etc. I think new shocks and higher series tires would help the latter. I will likely do a 2" lift with new shocks/wheels/tires next year.

Good Jeep
By ga19891

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my used 2006 Jeep in 2014 with 110k on it. Driven it for 10k miles and no problems yet. Incredibly smooth ride and a lot of boost from the engine. Very happy with it. Gets a ton of compliments when I pull up. Down side is the horrible gas mileage. Welcome to Jeeps though. Transmission also concerns me but no real problems yet. Holding up well at 122k miles.

I'd recommend this car but be wary of gas mileage. Just take care of it and it will take care of you.