Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Reliable and affordable
By Leebie

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this 2001 Cherokee Sport almost 4 years ago as a solution to the bad winters here in Michigan. I chose well. This is a wonderfully capable off road vehicle with good ground clearance. It plows through the snow, sometimes pushing the snow with the bumper when it gets deep. There is a lot of power with the 4.0 inline 6 which snaps your head back when you want to play at the lights. It handles well on tight curves and despite it's classification as an SUV it doesn't have that vague steering I have noticed on other SUVs. The styling has been called boxy but I love it and consider it classic. It has never had a problem since I have owned it, just the routine maintenance so far.

Classic rugged styling that represents the capability of an off road savvy Jeep. The power is very satisfying which makes it a blast to drive. I have yet to throw anything at it that it can't handle and although I wouldn't sell it, I am assured it will have held it's value more than many other SUVs.

The only downside for me is rear passenger comfort. There isn't much room and the design of the doors, being small at the back makes getting in and out a bit of a trial. It doesn't worry me as I have only ever had 4 people in it once. The seats fold to make the cargo room quite acceptable.

My prayer was answered
By Mimi

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I could not leave this site without commenting. My jeep was stolen last week and I only prayed that I would get it back, not totalled. My prayer was answered! I am a 67 year old grandmother who takes her grandkids (and friends)everywhere. Seven years of car seats and kids in and out, no problem. I cannot imagine having to replace this vehicle, at least not anytime soon. I would have had to find another 2001 Cherokee Sport if need be! Have never had any major problems, which I attribute to proper maintenance. Love My Jeep!

Cannot pick any favorites features. Just the whole package. And, it was even better after I after I added customer wheels and tires and put a slight lift on it. Love it.

Nothing I can think of.

great little jeep
By sierragrl

2001 Jeep Cherokee SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 4th jeep cherokee, and I guess my last one since they quit making them. I love it. It powers up hills, flies past the slow moving vehicles on passing opportunities. When I had a toyota there was no passing allowed, it didn't have enough umhph. But cherokees, no problem. Its great off-road, its small dimensions are perfect for tight hairpin turns on narrow, steep dirt roads. And all my jeeps have been extremely reliable. nothing has gone wrong on them and I drove each one till 130,000 miles.

reliability. 4.0 L engine. Size, small enough to go anywhere, but I could still sleep in it.

I can't believe they never changed the windshield wipers so you could leave them up so they don't freeze to the windshield!

Jeeps are my life
By sdv

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned 5 Jeeps. 83 cj7, 88 Wrangler, 2-91 Cherokees, and this 01 Cherokee. They all had the inline six cyl. motors. Good rugged vehicles. I plowed with the cj and wrangler and they held up good. The Cherokees are good cars but they all seem to have issues around the 100000 mile mark. I have learned from the past to just bite the bullet and put radiators in them at the 100 grand mark. They are not that good on gas (maybe 21 to 23 on a trip)but I still keep buying them..LOL They are good in the snow climate up here in the northeast. This 2001 Cherokee has had synthetic oil changes since new so we will so how long I can run this without getting the usual compression blow by.

good ride, stereo, ruggedness, and body design.

The 4 wheel drive systems should be full time or all wheel drive not part time 4 wheel, parts can get a little expensive also for some repairs.

junk
By Jason

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just got this jeep and let me tell you it stinks! No power no good off road capabilities. Worst of all no room. I have a family of 4 and none of us are liking it. Im going back to my chevy Avalanch more room, power and better fuel milage.

The used car lot that took it off my hands

buy a different car