Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Tires, Battery, Belt, Shocks, Brakes
By Jeeper Since '79

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have 170,000 miles on the Cherokee - it had 32 when I bought it. I am on tire set 5, shocks set 3, belt 3, battery 4, brakes 5. I've replaced the plugs three times, the valve cover gasket once, serviced the differentials twice each. Oil changes every 5 to 7000 miles, (in spite of what is recommended). One radiator. Bulbs and headlights and what-have- you: once or twice. The worst repair was the air, once, $1300, and how bad is that, really? I doubt I've put more than $6000 into it over the many miles, about 1/6 th of which were off-roadish, it has carried me. If your Cherokee hasn't done the same, I don't think you put enough love into it. Jeep owners will understand this.

Like your grandfather's hammer.

Can't think of a thing.

Low Maintnance and durable
By Matt

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchase my jeep used with 70k miles in 2004. It now has 122k miles and drives and runs no different than the day I bought it. Only maintenance I have done is change oil, change transmission fluid(once), replace rear shocks (once), and a brake job (once). Jeep has plenty of power and will easily do 100mph. It is durable and handles great in the snow. It can go offroad anywhere 98% of people would need / want to go. I wish it were a little quieter on the road and go better gas mileage (but you can't avoid the fact that it is a box on wheels and about as non-aerodynamical as a car could be).

Torque and acceleration of the 4.0L motor. Reliable 4wd system.

Vehicle not made anymore. Does well for a 10 year old SUV.

I love reading the Jeep reviews
By Awesome truck

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Four Cherokee's....I'd buy four more. '84 ( black beauty } '93 ( black beauty II } '98 { green hornet )'01 { Brutis ). Brutis pulled a new Kia SUV with a tow package and a 2300 lb sterndrive boat hat was coupled to it out of our lake and up the ramp. And I didn't have to bother with low range! Enough said.

4.0 straight six and the 292 transfer case. If any of my trucks needed service other than regular stuff.....it was my fault , not the trucks.

Bring it back!

My Jeep
By Jeeper01

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my jeep Cherokee Sport 3yrs. ago and never had any problems with so far and it has 140000 mi. on it.It is a great vehicle for off roading to get to my fav. fishin/campin/hunting spots here in PA..fuel economy is getting better with a Gibson Perf. exhaust and a K&N cold air intake and I just added a BBK 62 mm. throttle.There is so many mods. that you can add to this vehicle. that makes it so fun to own. Looks are great for town and off roading to.

Off road capabilities,universal fit of parts.comfy interior.and its sturdy reliability.

Better fuel economy,and disc rear brake would have been nice.

Nothing Like It
By Mike

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

There is nothing like the Jeep Cherokee. I bought my Jeep with ~50,000 miles on it back in 2004. It rides rough, but this rugged vehicle was bult to last. After driving it over 60,000 miles I have had to replace the AC condenser, tires, battery, and brake rotors (my Fault). Nothing else has been replaced. I have hauled almost 1000 lbs of crap in the back of it at one time. I still love Charolette (my Jeep).

The inline six. The engine produces strong torque and responsive horsepower.

Interior seating. The seats are a bit uncomfortable for long rides.