Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Champion
By lhale

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

i bought my Jeep in July 2011 with 170k on the dash. The only thing I've done to this car is give it 4 oil changes. I've taken this car from Charleston SC to Winston Salem NC several times and also to and from Brooklyn NY from Charleston with no problems. I bought the car with low oil pressure but this has not slowed this beast down. I'm a heavy driver and this jeep hangs in there with me.
One of the bet buys of my life.

Power in acceleration; box shaped style

leg space for the driver. Driver seat is not for people with long legs

What a mess
By lordmetalz28

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Worst vehicle ive ever owned. bought it with 72k for 10k in 2005 110k now. no kidding i have never had this truck 100 percent since the day i drove it off the lot. its always been something. hood cable 5X window regulators 10x valve cover gasket, oil adapter gasket.
evap coil 2x. wheel bearing 3x. leaks water from every gasket. oil from every gasket. electrical system is falling apart. Not to mention its terrible on gas. have to be in 4x4 to make it thru a 1/4 inch of snow. 4wd indicator switch 8x and the new one just broke. this jeep is so piss poor i bought a 2006 mazda because i didnt trust the jeep and the mazda is no good!! yet another bad dicision the jeep forced me to make.

the day someone steals it

everything

Reliable
By kozmikgene

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just turned over 200,000 miles and I have only changed the oil about 15 times. My Cherokee Sport still runs strong and if I had been a bit better with maintenance I believe it would easily turn 300k. If you find one of these gems don't be afraid of it if it has some miles on it you will easily see 200k. My mechanic says these engines are bullet proof, and the only reason he has seen it is for the 3 radiators it has gone through. We have recently endured a terrible snow storm that downed many trees, my Jeep got me home safe with some of the nastiest four wheel off roading it has been through!

the toughness and reliability

bring it back

Will be buried in it....
By g2001xj

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

At 45 I feel very COOL driving it. Was lucky to pick one up in 2009 with only 29K miles on it. It still looks and drives like new at 50K now. In bad weather I volunteer to run to the store as an excuse to drive it. I would really love to buy another one someday but as we know that's not going to happen.

Classic and simple All-American look. This may seem corny but I feel proud to be driving it because of that. When I go to the soccer fields I love parking next to a fancy Bimmer or Range Rover and feel completley comfortable in doing so with my Jeep XJ. It does seem that I will go to at least 250K miles with little to no issue as others have proven.

The gas mileage is not that great at 17 combined but its not too bad. I have had the O2 Sensors go bad as many have had. Do wish it had the rear headrests for safety reasons. I also wish the steering were a bit lighter as it is rather "heavy." Wish Chrysler can bring this back somehow. What a huge mistake it was to stop making this one. I'll only buy another Jeep if they come out with a Diesel Wrangler for the US!! Other than that.....forget it; I'll go buy another brand.

It's a Jeep
By Skip

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Owned a 97 VW Jetta before this that was fun to drive. This Jeep is fun, but in a different way. For a vehicle with 15 in rims it goes over just about anything, is tough as nails, and I know that I can count on it to get me practically anywhere. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but that's just part of Jeep's purpose. My Cherokee actually has more horizontal room than a Liberty, and is definitely built more solid. Gas mileage is horrible (my vw got 26, this gets around 18), but it's well worth it for the experience of driving a legendary SUV.

Fun to drive, goes anywhere I need it to, and has plenty of power to get on the interstate/power through snow banks.

The only way I could improve this vehicle is to add a manual transmission. But that's more a matter of personal taste than anything else.