Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

One sweet SUV !!
By lakiemom

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned and absolutely cherished my Cherokee Limited 4WD. It is the best suv I have owned in my lifetime. It's performance has been top notch. There were two recalls for heat shields that came and went without a hitch. I knew that the jeep tranny was clunky when I bought it. The 4wd engage is also clunky but after 7 years I have gotten used to it. I don't off-road but I have been in some raging winter weather in the New Mexico mountains and it has sailed through like the champ it is. My first set of tires lasted 80,000 miles and I have 27,000 on my second set with no issues to date. The bun warming seats are terrific. Can't beat a Cherokee. Can't imagine why they stopped producing them.

Exterior appearance, comfortable seats, power seat performance, cornering at high speed without sway, interior appearance is superb, weight of vehicle is nice compared to other suv models, gas mileage is pretty darn good for an suv

more back seat leg room, space for full sized spare tire without having to put the back seat down

Great Jeep
By drwhkm

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this 2001 Cherokee Sport with 82K, and it was a great vehicle to own. Drove great through snow and mud, but also had a smooth highway ride. Engine provided plenty of power, however was also very thirsty. A very well-built, reliable Jeep.

Four wheel drive is excellent, styling a nice mix of modern and the classic Jeep look. Engine and body materials are very reliable.

Gas mileage is subpar for a small SUV. Not a lot of headroom and the backseat is quite uncomfortable.

The best vehicle ever built
By FBHSswimmer2006

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Cherokee. I fell in love with it the second that I saw it on the dealership lot. I surf so it's a lot fun to drive, especially on the beach. It can take anything that I throw at it and what I need it to do. It is the best vehicle that I have ever had. I'm gonna keep it until it dies, even with today's gas prices. Chrysler needs to bring this Jeep back and sell it again.

The 4WD system, roof bars, the interior space, the power of the engine and transmission, seats, and basically everything.

Nothing, it's perfect for me.

A rare right hand drive Cherokee
By hot_burrito_1

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I found my Cherokee on the side of the road for sale. It is a factory right hand drive. Aside from replacing nearly all of the original parts (previous owners were not proactive in taking care of the vehicle), it is a very durable vehicle. I use this vehicle daily to carry mail and it is stronger than the government owned vehicles. It has twice the power. The only downside to the 4.0 is the poor gas mileage. Overall, this is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. The best I have ever owned was a 1984 Honda Accord.

The 4.0 Liter engine has plenty of power. Gets me through the route quickly and safely. Despite poor gas mileage, it is still my favorite vehicle to drive on a daily basis.

Some way to display the codes for the check engine light. Sometimes it comes on and goes out. Sometimes it comes on and stays on. When it stays on, that means there is a real problem. An onboard code reader for the check engine light would be a nice feature for this vehicle.

Watching our Cherokee mature
By Karpindur

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

When we bought it, I had the OEM oil changed to Mobil One. Then I had the transmission and differential changed to Mobil One at 25,000 miles. As near as I can remember, it runs just like the day I drove it off the lot, which is a day I have not regretted so far. To date, the only "major" issue I have had was a failure of the crankshaft and camshaft sensors to the tune of $400. The mechanic seems to have taken me some, as the camshaft sensor was obviously broken but the chances of both failing at once are infinitesimal. Otherwise it has been good to us. Strong, quick, and reliable, it inspires confidence in any traffic, weather or road condition, and looks great doing it.

See above. Also, Jeep really hit on a classic body design with the Cherokee. Notice how all of the others try to incorporate, if not out right copy the Cherokee's handsome understatement.

The back seat can be brutal on long trips, but little chance that Jeep will fix it since the Cherokee has been discontinued. The engine compartment gets incredibly hot and needs better air flow. I'm tempted to install a small hood scoop of some sort if I can find one.