Used 2000 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

forrest service "Gump" green
By mintjeeplup

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

Got my cherokee @ govt. auction 2 years ago with 63000 miles ..Its the forrest service green an uglier colour than even shrek after a night of drinking..this does not distract from special forrest service options like steel gas tank skid plate and other skid plates protecting the underside..now my jeep has 67000 miles and real nice rims
it aint the workhorse in my fleet of cars..that is my 1992 cherokee also with the great straght 6 motor...the 2000 is my 5th jeep with the straight 6 and runs smoother stronger and faster than the others ever did. a truely rugged vehicle..buy one or two..YEA

I can't let her go 2000 jeep cherokee 4x4
By 107wood

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a newer F-150 so I no longer had a need for my jeep so i decieded to sell it.
I washed it, waxed it, painted the mouldings and bumpers with bumper paint, touched up the finish coat, cleaned the rust off the steel rims, steam cleaned the interior.

I've now decided to keep her and sell my truck.

This has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned.
After 7 years and 90K
(bought it with 65K) I have had no major repairs.
The only issues I've had is with the suspension but it's all maintenance items.

Go in the snow....can't be stopped. I've actually tried to get stuck and can't.

More rear leg room and better gas mileage would be nice.

Best Jeep ever
By cprevbhayes

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought new in 2000.
Currently 175,000 miles and still going strong.
Mine has the 5-speed manual mated to the 6-cylinder engine.
Great combo for 4-wheel drive!
Only major repair has been replacing the a/c compressor.
Jeep has taken me all over the country.
Interior design could be better, especially the back seat.
Not too comfortable back there, but hey, it's a Jeep!
Wish someone made a dependable, basic 4-wheel drive vehicle today.
This one will stay with me until one of us dies!

5-speed tranny and 4 liter 6-cylinder engine is an awesome pairing! Still looks good after 11 years. Gas mileage of 25-27 on highway (the manual tranny helps a LOT with this).

Bring it back! Please! Also would be nice if they made it possible to replace the heater core without having to remove the entire dash.

Most Reliable Vehicle Ever Had
By urban_ga_peach

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV

My husband and I have had this Jeep for 4 years.
Had 70k when we bought it, now it has 130k.
Low miles for a 11 year old car.
We've had no major issues.
Daytime running lights means you chance headlights often.
Electrical sensor replaced under dash and a brake light sensor.
Besides that just regualar maint.
4.0L is best engine Jeep ever made. My dad has a 96 like ours with 280k and still no issues.
We expect to get 300k out of her too.
She's like a tank!
Back seat a bit small for 6 footers but fine for short people/kids.
Definately best buy for TMV.

You know you're getting there in a cherokee
By maxxoccupancy

2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this vehicle for about 15,000 miles, and I have been very happy with it.
It is as capable off road as off, and there are thousands of modifications for these vehicles.
Whether you want to hit the trails or brave New England winters, these are some of the best vehicles for the money.
The Cherokee is also one of the safest, toughest vehicles on the road.

Solid front axle, well built, light weight, great handling and acceleration. I've never been in an SUV that can keep up with a Mustang. The classic look is great, and the Cherokee corners like a good sports sedan. These powertrains are famous for their 200,000+ mile "break-in period." I never feel like I am going to be left behind, or that I will not be able to keep up with traffic around town. Despite 70 cu.ft of carrying capacity, the Cherokee gets about 16/23 mpg.

Interior controls should be more straightforward (like a bmw). Exterior should be more streamlined, and rear leaf springs should be replaced with something that doesn't sag after 20,000 miles. This is a common problem with the Cherokee's, as are the A/C and master control panel on the driver's door. Jeep should bring back the original Cherokee, but with better seats and the spare tire behind the liftgate--which also looks cooler. The headers on these sometimes crack, and they need to use large disc brakes all around. The intake should be revised and brought down through the hood to prevent hydrolock, and locking differentials should simply be standard. Bumpers should be tougher.