Used 2000 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Jeep Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

A Real SUV...
By LJK4

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my first Jeep and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one. The 4.0L is a torque monster that pulls better than any other compact SUV I've ever driven. The Command-Trac 4wd system works flawlessly and allows this Jeep to go almost anywhere. Snow isn't a problem, just point where you want to go and hit the gas. I'm 6'4" and drive in a very upright position and I've got enough headroom so that I'm not ducking while I drive. As far as brakes go I personally haven't had any problems with them at all. There are a couple of real minor flaws inside. The transfer case lever does vibrate as does the exhaust system but these are minor flaws. Overall the Cherokee is a real SUV not a cute-ute.

Torque monster. 4.0L. Excellent on and off road ability. Solid front and rear axles. An excellent comprimise between overall size and cargo space. Awe inspiring four wheel drive ability. Tons of aftermarket accesories. Lots of Jeep clubs

No longer made. As for used ones there are tons of aftermarket parts out there for 'em.

Great SUV for the money
By Mark Bishop

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first Jeep I have ever owned and I plan on keeping it for a long time. It has plenty of power to pull my boat around through the hills and the gas mileage is a respectable 20 MPG on the interstate. I am 6 foot tall and the seat and ride are very comfortable compared to some other SUV's I've been in. This is a good driving 4X4 for the money, too bad they quit making them.

I like the overall styling and the ride is relatively soft and comfortable on the highway. You also can't beat the 4.0 L in line 6 cylinder engine for power and reliablility. The Shift on the fly has also come in handy a few times.

I wish it had cruise control and the display for temperature and direction. I also got rid of the stock steel rims as soon as possible; they made the vehicle look cheep.

Great Jeep
By Great Jeep

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

Have had my Jeep for 10,000 miles so far. So far It has just needed routine oil changes, a battery, and some tires for the winter. Very reliable and dependable vehicle. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable SUV. It gets decent fuel economy; probably get around 320 miles on a tank of gas.

I love the classic body style. It has nice acceleration rides nice, very reliable. Decent interior room. 4X4 capability. Would highly recommend this truck to anyone.

Wish the back glass could open by itself so you can haul long stuff more easily. Cancel the Liberty and put the Cherokee back into production. Keep real chrome metal bumpers on cars and trucks instead of cheap plastic ones. Plastic door handles. Should've kept the chrome ones as seen on earlier models.

Why did Jeep Discontinue the Cherokee?
By Shaun07

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep in 2003 as a used vehicle. It had 75,000 miles on it which is a lot for only being 3 years old. Since I've had it nothing major has gone wrong with the exception of the right front brake caliper locking against the rotor. Everything that has gone wrong with it before that happened when it was still under warranty.

4.0 I6 motor is probably the best motor Jeep has ever offered...it's nearly bullet proof if you take care of it.

Not much you can do about it now. But if something had to be changed it would be the size of the stock tires. the 225/75/R15's are just too small to do any minor off-roading.

I love my Jeep!
By amylee85

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV

I bought my Cherokee used with 25,000
miles on it and have had no problems. I
put around 90 miles on it per day so it
gets a lot of use. It is extremely
reliable and fun to drive, not too big
& not too small.

The a/c is the best I've ever experienced.

The back seat could have been made more comfortable with headrests. It is not a could road trip vehicle if adults are going to be riding in the back seat (no place to rest your head.)