Used 2000 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Real Review of a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
By Northern Michigan

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

It's a love/hate relationship. Granted, I bought it with 134K. I've put 51K on it(185K). The vehicle was trailed behind a RV every winter to FL. Looks great. I've owned it 5 years and it's a been a comical piece of garbage. New head(of course for 00'), alternator, water pump, AC compressor, thermostat, radiator, cat. conv./O2 sensors, CV joints twice, sensors, electrical problems... it just goes on. I'm not including wear items. Never once taken off road. I get that an old vehicle has problems. I'm just mad at myself because a friend bought an out West Toyota 4Runner at the same time and it's light years ahead of Chrysler engineering. I love it because I've done all the repairs myself. I hate it because I can't trust it more than 100 miles from my house. I have a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and it has has so many problems in 17K miles I can't believe it. I'll buy a Toyota next. Maybe someone has a good story. I'm just tired of reading the same ones that tricked me into buying it. Truth be told, I still own the YJ and will ruthlessly wheel the heck out of it until it dies...

The Jeep That Could
By Juan Flores

2000 Jeep Cherokee SE 4dr SUV 4WD

For the purpose of helping out others with an overview of the 2000 Jeep Cherokee, I would like to give my opinion on it. I originally bought the Cherokee for $2,500 in Arizona. Beforehand, I knew nothing about jeeps, much less offloading. The Cherokee originally had 97,000 miles with perfect condition interior. No dents on the sides, no mechanical issues. The Cherokee has powered windows and mirrors, as well as 4WD. With the SE edition, I did not have the regular gauges that other vehicles have. Even without these gauges, I have had no problems. The only major issue with my Cherokee, is the fact that the wheather strips seem to not work. Water constintly enters the vehicle from the top and side of the doors. Other than the weather strips failing, the jeep is a very reliable vehicle. I would recommend to any first-time offroaders, or those first time snow travelers. It does amazing!

2000 Jeep Cherokee (personal Tank)!
By Chris Bratcher

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I've always loved the looks of the Jeep Cherokee. The styling is classic and still holds up today. The in line 4.0L 6 is the best , most bulletproof motor I've ever owned! I love it and I will never sell it!!! I had the fortune of getting one from an older couple who bought it brand new and always babied it. Too bad they don't make vehicles as reliable and easy to work on anymore. They must've realized they weren't making enough money on service after making these!!!! I have 218k miles &, still runs great!

Love the XJ!!!
By ZPC1980

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

The old Cherokees are simple and reliable even when abused and neglected. They're also built like tanks. I survived without a scratch after flipping my '96 Cherokee on it's roof and I immediately bought a 2000 Cherokee Sport after that. I had the 2000 for about 7 years or so and even after neglecting to change the oil or keep up on maintenance I never had any serious problems. Looking back though I wish I would have treated it better and held onto it. I regretfully sold it and bought an '03 Ford Ranger(big mistake). Now I'm back to an 05 Grand Cherokee. I'll stick with what I know and love.

Rugged, Reliable
By Robert

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this 2000 classic for 16 years. Tires and fluids are all it has needed and 1 power steering pump. 144000 miles of trouble free on and off road use. Carries more than an Wrangler and can go the same places. Mileage averages 17 MPG on regular gas. Winch, 3 inch lift, Rear axle locker, Took it to off road at Telico, NC. no issues if you know how to drive. Best vehicle I have ever owned and I have had many over the years. Still it's my daily driver.