Used 1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

There is nothing better for the money!
By David S

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

What is not to like about this car? It's beautiful, fun to drive, RELIABLE, and has a spunky engine.

4.0L engine, clean profile.

More space in the rear for stuff.

98 Cherokee
By Phil S

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

This car started as a lease, ended up buying it. Price was too high due to the unexpected purchase, but it is still running with 227,700 miles and doesn't use oil yet. Highway mileage is 20 mpg. On a recent trip, driving about 50, I got 25. Much less in the city. Only problem that are chronic are with the cruise control (won't hold the speed) and the air conditioning (doesn't work even after being re-done).

reliable is the name of the game
By stoney33lax

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck has been in my family since 98 now has 120,000 miles w/automatic trany truck has been so reliable I just cant sell it it wouldn't make sense. Many great memories behind the wheel truck has kept my family safe and secure everyday never have I found a snow storm that this 4x4 cant handle not the coolest ride on the road but certanly the most reliable one purchase I absolutely don't regret. My uncle also had one w/250k miles same model truck 4-speed auto. Cant wait till my trucks at 200k it'll prob. Run the same it always has I love you Jeep

4x4 duh..motor sounds pretty good in my opinion, k&n cold air intake helps bring out the groady sound from this pretty inline 6

damb power window motors they are not as good as they should be passenger door and rear passenger door have both been replaced have a feeling it wont be the last time that happens

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
By rllr

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the '98 Cherokee Sport brand new in June 98. Eleven years later it drives like new. Its engine has gained fame has incredibly reliable, the best of the best from Jeep. I've driven it everywhere. It can go 100mph comfortably and get out of any snow bank. It's a shame they discontinued it. As someone over 6 feet tall, I really appreciate the great head room!!

My favorite features are the incredible power of the engine, the reliability, the traction in the snow, the look, the upright driver's view, headroom and comfort.

I wish Jeep would bring back the Cherokee!!

Reliable and Long-lasting
By RdeB

1998 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

We are at 250,000 miles and going strong! This car has served us well, so we are keeping it, even after 10 years! The drawbacks have always been the same: it is noisy, and there is no leg room behind the drivers. We chose the Jeep because of the wide space in the back (fits a 4-ft wide object in the flat, and is high). We also like the rack on top and the comparatively small outside dimensions & lots of window area (maneuverable & easy to park), and on slippery roads in the winter we like the safety of 4WD.