Used 1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Loved mine!
By spencer Millsap

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Country 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my jeep back in 2002 with 90k miles ALREADY on it! I just got rid of it at 205k miles to get a new Jeep Patriot 4x4. Awesome transition. I loved my Jeep, super dependable, great 4x4 performance, perfect cargo space, etc. Had to deal with water pumps, radiators, catalytic converters, and all other wear and tear of the car, but it lasted me 205k miles and it is STILL running strong. Go get one with low miles if you can find one

body style, ground clearance, truck versatility, compact size

none, bring it back

Great Vehicle!!
By Solid Beuaty

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

156K+ miles and she is solid and strong. I am very pleased with the reliability of this truck (former honda, vw, nissan driver), and try to maintian the basic services, oil changes, ect. 20.5mpg +/- 0.7 on 87 Octane. One minor problem with the wiring rubbing under the Power Distribution box, which affected the aux electric cooling fan, but following a $100 repair, she has required no other expenses. Strong recommendation as a sturdy no frills vehicle. Driven every day in AZ heat 110+ with no overheating.

Overall interior and exterior size is perfect. Turning radius is unmatched for parking in undersized spaces. A//C is colder than the wifes toyota camry.

Bring these back into manufacturing (from china)!

Second one...
By se

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

97 Cherokee with 154k. Rebuilt the cooling system last year at 145k, the first time it was touched. Virtually indestructible, it's done everything asked of it. It's a Jeep..not quiet..not smooth..just good road manners & traction to spare. We always keep a Jeep around for deep snows and the 97 is far better than the 95 we had before. If you need a pack mule to pull or haul & get decent mileage, consider a Cherokee.

1997 - a Good Year
By Susan

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 2dr SUV

I bought my 1997 Jeep Cherokee new in 1997. It has a straight six engine, manual transmission - no frills. What a workhorse - It has well over 200,000 miles and all it has ever needed were oil changes, tires and windshield wipers. It doesn't get any better than this. When the engine goes I may get it rebuilt since the straight six is easy to rebuild.

Body style, manual transmission

Good
By mnclark

1997 Jeep Cherokee SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep "on impulse" because I needed something to drive. The 4.0l engine is incredible at 285k miles and I haven't put any work into it. Does great off road and I drive the hell out of it. Real steal and I look forward to driving it for a while!

maintenance free!!!