Used 1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Nearly Indestructible
By cwrigh25

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2dr SUV

I recieved this Jeep as a first vehicle. It came with 315,000 miles. Four years later as it nears 330,000 it still runs like a champ. Sure it has its hiccups, like leaking oil, or not idling after prolonged use, but for the amount of miles it does has it runs well. The a/c even works! If these vehicles are taken care of, and certain parts replaced, pumps, harmonic balance, radiator, it could potential last a person a few decades.

The powerful alternator. Has ran my twin 15" subs for over a year without a problem. The engine has lasted for 329,634 miles and its still going.

Seeing as they dont make these anymore, this is kind of pointless, but I would say for anyone buying one, to upgarde factory speakers, check the fuel pump, radiator, coolant tank, and the harmonic balance

excellent car
By Ace36

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Pioneer 4dr SUV 4WD

For offroaders, the capabilities are nearly unmatched. For onroaders, the I6 lasts forever and puts out enough power to accelerate faster than most V8's I've driven. Friends with bad backs complain about my seats, but for me, I have no problems whatsoever, and for short trips, I have no problem at all. Also the command-trac 4wd holds the road well accelerating uphill in extremely icy conditions despite my nearly bald tires.

4.0L I6, offroad capabilities, customizability (lift kits, rims, etc.), command-trac 4wd.

Seats and dash. Some minor interior changes.

awesome suv
By knaggs

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

i bought my Jeep used and it overheated after three months. IT WAS NOT THE JEEP. it was negligence. I just got a new motor for it and the reliability before the new engine was unbelievable. at 138,000 miles it didn't miss nor did the tranny slip nor did it burn any other fluids other than gas. Plus for an SUV it got good mileage both for fun and work.

My favorite feature is the upgradeability. You can do anything to a Jeep, cosmetic or performance, and it will always work.

the jeep review
By moneybagT

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Well I love to ride in my Jeep. I have owned the Jeep for 8 years and I love it. It’s my baby! I have the 4 door limited and it’s in great condition with 223000 miles and a lot left to go. I've heard that these Jeeps can get 400,000 miles on them and I believe it. The most problems that I can recall from the 1990 Jeep Cherokee is that there is no radiator cap, you can only put radiator fluid from the reserve and sometimes these things like to run hot but if you keep a good thermostat in it and a good reserve cap on the reserve it will be able to have the pressure that it needs to let the water flow. This is the only major thing that I can see that is really wrong with the Jeeps - I do recommend them.

My favorite features of these Limited Jeeps is the gold trim package. The gold rims and the gold pin stripe go great together. Also the leather seats. They have a special seat that went into the Limiteds and they are really comfy. Also the 4 wheel drive is unbeatable. It offers unmatched offroad ability.

The radiator should include a cap. Instead of putting fluid in the reserve there should be a cap because sometimes it can get pretty aggravating.

Classic Jeep
By TCarico

1990 Jeep Cherokee SUV Pioneer 4dr SUV 4WD

Great car, great design, "it is what it is". I am the second owner. The car drives like a new ca. I had a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited and this car feels very similar in responsiveness and ride. I replaced the alternator ($140 installed) and put a new valve cover gasket on the car ($45 installed). These are well built vehicles that will run for over 200,000 miles if maintained.

4.0L inline 6.