Used 2004 Jaguar XK-Series Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jaguar XK-Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XK-Series model:

I really, really like this car!!
By Rick

2004 Jaguar XK-Series XKR 2dr Convertible (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I bought this '04 convertible used (in 2017) and to get an $87,000 car with under 40,000 miles for only $17,000, I call that a value - even if it is a few years old. Looks-wise, as far as I'm concerned this is the most beautiful car on the road! Anywhere! Ever! Period! The perfect update in body lines but still reminiscent of the legendary XKE. I can't stop looking at it! You know, anyone can buy a Camaro, Mustang or 'Vette, and they're nice cars and all, but they're a dime a dozen. With the XK, and especially the rare-ness of the "R", now you have class. People constantly stop to gawk and often ask me what it is. And it gives you a special feeling when you can reply, not "Chevy" or "Ford"...but "Jaguar"! The best was when I came out of a restaurant last month to find 6 elderly women ogling over it! Performance wise it's great, it is fast! Fastest on the road? No, not by a long shot, but faster than 95+% of them. There's nothing like leaving the light and being to 60 mph effortlessly (I'm talking only part throttle), looking back and seeing everyone still just getting rolling. And I always have to turn the stereo down when I do because the best music is the sound of that Eaton supercharger whine! Put the transmission in "Sport" mode and it snaps through the gears and if you nail it from a stop (before it shifts to 2nd, something it likes to do in short order) and it launches HARD! This car has a nearly perfect combination of looks and performance, it really is as quick as it looks. For a sports car it really rides quite nice considering its handling is so crisp. Another big plus is the gas mileage, I can easily get 28 mpg at 65 mph and that's GPS corrected for mileage over a 620 mile trip. How do you beat a car that looks like this, handles like this, looks like this, rides like this, looks like this and goes like this with nearly 400 supercharged V8 horsepower and gets this kind of mileage? Did I also mention what a looker it is too? The interior is beautiful too with the polished burled walnut and leather even though there's no place to really store anything. My biggest "gripe" is probably getting in, or especially, out of it. Tough, I can live with it. A useless "3 marble" tray in the console has a small tray and a 4 coin slot, pretty much a joke. I removed it and made a nice polished aluminum plate in which I installed a combination volt meter (because there isn't one), cig lighter socket (that's always powered now) and dual USB port as the only power outlet on the car is the cigarette lighter inside the ashtray which is only hot when the ignition is on. In this day & age you can't have too many charging ports for all your "stuff". I also removed the ridiculous nav system from the dash (it's user un-friendly, no touch screen controls, runs off a DVD player in the trunk (!) and the last update was before the car was even built. My 35 year old street wasn't even on it!) and I installed a nice Garmin in its place - and it looks factory. Same for the stereo. The old 2004 stereo has a 6 disc player in the trunk, no aux inputs and a cassette deck. Yeah, a cassette deck! Its did crank pretty well but I put a modern Pioneer in its place, replaced the amp in the trunk (kept the Alpine speakers, they're okay) and now I have a modern stereo that rattles the mirrors and interfaces with my phone. These few simple, cheap updates were all this car needed. Maintenance so far has been good, it's been easier to work on (so far) than I'd expected and so far parts (like brakes, etc.) haven't been out of line either. It really makes all the difference if you can take on repairs like this yourself, normal maintenance on these isn't too far out of reach of the average Joe and you'll save yourself a bundle. This car is a keeper. Did I mention how beautiful it is?

I LOVE THIS CAR
By Dr Mike

2004 Jaguar XK-Series XKR 2dr Convertible (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

This car is amazing. The dealer is fantastic and I've had very few problems (a/c drainage hose clogged but was easily blown out by dealer and the lighter doesn't work). Otherwise the car has been a dream!

For style, presence, luxury, value and reliability, you can't beat a slightly used XK8!!!

Park distance sensors on the front. It is a little difficult to judge the front end. I've driven most types of cars and this one is the hardest to nose into a parking garage space without being too far or too close to the wall.

Great used car value
By Wifescar

2004 Jaguar XK-Series XKR 2dr Coupe (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

At 1/3 the new car cost that is like new,30K miles, documentation, extended 6 yr warranty, just had to get it for my wife. Been great, no problems and she looks great in it!! Brembo brake rotors are very expensive so look at them 1st. Car reminds me of the XKE I had 30 years ago. Great used car value!!

Exterior style is timeless and sexy. Workmanship is very good too.

Antenna is subpar looking when up and seats are not as comfortable as they should be for a grand touring sports coupe (my Vette has sportier, yet more comfortable ones even)

Dream Car
By Maggie

2004 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 2dr Convertible (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Have wanted a Jag since the first time I spotted an XKE when I was a child. It's beautiful, fun and now I can't imagine not having one.

The power, smooth ride, and great looks of the car make so much fun to drive. love the 19 inch wheels, and the sound system is great.

Get the cassette rack out of the trunk, automatic tonneau cover and XM radio. Have seen complaints about the gas mileage, but it gets 12 mpg more than my Tahoe!

SuperJag - 2004 XKR Coupe
By JON

2004 Jaguar XK-Series XKR 2dr Coupe (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

I recently upgraded my xk8 to a 2004 xkr - what a machine! The growl of the supercharged V8 alone, is worth the ownership fee. The Jag is an almost perfect mixture of grace and pace, its truly lovely. Its nice to see people still taking such an interest in the car when you take it out - it just oozes sex appeal.

Engine note, performance, comfort.

Not much, inner light bulb on the speedo is gone, but otherwise ok.