Used 2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Love hate relationship
By whart12

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Bought XJ8 VDP used with 60000 reading on the odometer. Love the comfort speed and styling of this big cat but been disappointed with its quality. If you are the type that can fix little things on your own then this wouldn’t be a bad buy. The XJ has not left me stranded but have had little things go wrong.
List of problem that I was able to fix myself:
1. All lock mechanism stopped working- found used parts on Ebay for 200 for all 4 doors. New price for each door is 300+.
2. Interior blower motor stop working- found control module on Ebay for 120. New part 300+
3. Trunk latch stopped working- found trunk latch on Ebay for 50. New part 400+
4. Radio amp stopped working- found used part on Ebay for 100. New part 1500+
Again, if you don’t have a personal mechanic or you are not able to turn a wrench do yourself a favor stay away…..

Have had Benz, BMW, Volvo, VW and Lexus and by far the XJ is the nicest

Quality

WOW!
By welchct4

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned my, low-mileage (23k), 2004 XJ Vanden Plas for a little over a month now.
This automobile is without question the finest automobile that I have ever owned. The quality of the interior blows away anything from Germany or Japan. The electronics (Alpine stereo, Nav, Rear DVD, etc.) are simple, logical and easy to operate. The exterior is a timeless classic and the aluminum body make the MPG's incredible (18-20 city/28-31 hwy). In fact, I've averaged 27.3 mpg (80% Hwy./20% City) for the first 1,300 miles that I've owned the car!

Ridiculous depreciation, based upon sins of the past, make this without question the best value in the used luxury car market.

Incredible Hwy. MPG's! Classic exterior styling. First-class interior. Easy to use electronics.

None

OMG - What a car !!
By callum2

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Well, I have had my 2004 XJ8 for a week now and I cannot believe how awesome this car is.

Full disclosure - I an 49 and waited a long time to drive the perfect car, I found it in the XJ8

I could not afford a new one and this 2004 is a close second best.
I have a mercedes C320 ($58k new)
wagon sports which I like, but the jag has it beat

Anyone in the market for a 2004 with some low-med miles can expect a truley great car

John beat

Good news for those of us looking for a used Jag is there aint a lot of folks looking so proices are lower that Merc or BMW wagon sports with all bells and whistles and sports package 20 2002 and I like it

Best car ever
By calhistory

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2004 Jaguar XJ8 in 2009. After one year of pleasure driving, I am as excited about this car after 10,000 miles as the first day I took ownership. The ride, the quality, the looks, and the performance are unmatchable in this price range. I could not afford a new Jag, and I was hesitant, but couldn't help myself, and my decision to buy this 5-year old was one of the best decisions ever. This car has worked flawlessly in the city (San Francisco) and on long drives. I have the car regularly maintained by a Jag dealer and couldn't be happier. As they say, this car sold for nearly $70,000 new. There's a reason it cost that much. Take care of it, it will take care of you.

Performance, beautiful interior, economy, comfort, and exterior design.

None. Wonderful. Just wonderful.

No regrets
By Paul

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 2004 Jaguar XJ8 in May, 2008. It had 35,000 miles on it and, yet, it has taken me an additional 50,000 trouble-free, breathtakingly quick miles. The car is a beauty, British racing green with sand interior. The normally aspirated engine responds well and the ZF transmission translates that power to the road immediately. The XJ handles like a much smaller car, dancing over the road rather than crushing it as its German stablemates tend to do. This is the best, most responsive car I've ever owned. A true joy to behold and to drive.

Amazing acceleration, good firm braking, responsive on twisty roads and quiet. A real 10