Used 2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

1 Week Into Jaguar Ownership
By mherbst

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

12k a 40k mile car was a steal. I purchased this car knowing something would break. You have to have that mindset for all Jaguars and plan accordingly. This car was below my budget for a used car, and I put my savings from the purchase into an account for future repairs. I'm now very glad I did. 1 week in and the sunroof is broken, air suspension has visible leaks, who knows what else.
Just the parts for the sunroof are $800, rear air suspension is $1500 for one shock.
If you don't mind working on a car yourself (which I don't) this is a decent buy, also for air suspension issues arnott makes better than factory suspension. 4 shocks for the price of a jag one.

Smooth ride, smooth power delivery, car drives effortlessly

Air suspension components, electronic components

Lifelong Jaguar Owner
By smayuga

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Select Edition with 25K miles in 12/05. The car still looks and runs like new at 96K miles in 10/12. Car has been a dream, very reliable, repairs few and far between.
Never been stuck due to breakdown.
My 2004 is most reliable car ever.
Quality of ride and handling, interior leather and paint are stunning; Comfort and Class personified.
Not an all out sports car (I still have my E-Type for that) but for a sedan I've never found it wanting for speed, handling, cornering or any other "normal" performance requirement.
You can pick up used ones for around $10-12K an amazing bargain.
Car should not have major repair issues till closer to 200K in miles.

Lather interior; comfort and ride; incredible alpine sound system; acceleration when needed.

Don't make succeeding versions so wonderful so that it tempts you to prematurely trade-in a perfectly wonderful XJ (with tens of thousands of miles comfortable driving left in it) for an even more wonderful and technologically advanced XJ!

Wonderful/Fabulous
By skingsr

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned my 2004 xj8 since early 2009. I bought it with a little over 30,000 miles. I have approx 92, 000 miles to date and this car is a beauty. A head turner. I'm constantly getting compliments. It drives magnificently and the interior is first class. Just complete luxury at its finest. I've had a few issues mechanically, windshield wiper motor and throttle position sensor. Other than that, I am a proud jag owner and loving it

Owned since new
By bigjim13

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Ok, I've owned my Jag since 2004 bought it new in Texas and drove it straight to Arizona. I've had only a few issues with the big cat in the 8 years I've had her. Electric issues with the A/C, and the cruise control. That's all! Once fixed I've had no other issues with them. My Jag has 58,375miles and is an awesome family car. My kids love the cool factor, my wife loves the way it drives and I love the safety features that it offers. I'm not a Jag man but I do love owning it. I also own a 2001 Ferrari 360, 2009 GMC Sierra and a BMW M3. I take care of my rides so they can take care of me.

Size and safety.

More color options

Be careful with what you are expecting here
By mr_dearborn

2004 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl S/C 6A)

The car is pretty to look at, has a fantastic engine, and rides like a dream.
These were the things I was looking for in a car.
I was hoping that Ford's $3 billion investment several years before this car would resolve reliability issues.
Nope.

This car had a number of advancements that didn't quite work and are expensive to fix: 1) electric parking break, 2) air suspension, 3) aluminum unibody (rust), 4) transmission leaks.

I've dropped $11K on my $18K car thus far.
It has 50K miles.

Also, the handling isn't quite on par with the German cars; it does't love curves and corners.

In short, be careful with your expectations on this one.

The 4.2 liter super charged engine is solid. It is the same one they were using for 6 years before this year. All bugs have been worked out at this point. Good gas mileage and lots of power.