Used 2002 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jaguar XJ-Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XJ-Series model:

Traded a Porsche for my Jag
By Dr. Neil C Davis

2002 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

Be thankful you've found one of these superlative automobiles. My Jag has over 100000 miles but was very carefully maintained and always garaged. It is like new beautiful. Other than brakes and new serpentine belt, my only action to make the car perfect was to replace the deteriorated rubber gaskets around the door handles. The car drives smooth as glass and is eerily quiet inside and out side. I like the little luxury touches like the pull down trays in the back seat. The 15 year old car does not have all the whiz bang electronics like a new Jaguar, but I like it better for that. The back-up proximity buzzers are neat.

Rode the heck out of this car
By Karen Cassidy

2002 Jaguar XJ-Series Vanden Plas 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car in 2007 (5 years old, 45k miles). I paid $18k used, less than my friend paid for her new VW beetle and i'm driving a gorgeous luxury car. The only visible flaws were cracked walnut paneling and I had the overhead cloth replaced. Then I have proceeded to drive the heck out of this car. I've commuted with it 500 miles/week for the last 7 years, hauled my scuba gear in the trunk (in a plastic bin), and many road trips with or without camping gear. One reason I bought the XJ8L is the big back seat; at that time anticipating large passengers. As I started doing Triathlons I discovered just taking off the front wheel I can fit my entire racing bike in the back seat easily, quickly, and with little impact to the vehicle. I've had two consistent problems- with coolant sensor light and fuel cap light- that after several fixes I have just decided to ignore. The only problem I ever had driving is when I took an 1500 mile RT drive to Key west; since the car was built for a tall british man (and I'm an average American girl) after 600 miles my back hurt cause I didn't fit right. It's now 13 years old and near retirement at 220k miles; since the right rear wheel bearing gave out, will likely replace vs. repair.

2002 Jag XJ Sport
By jp3558

2002 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ Sport 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

2 years ago I bought this car for my wife for her birthday because she has always wanted a Jag. This is just a beautiful vehicle. It does have it's quirks but they are far overridden by the cars elegance and luxury. All her local driving is done in her Maxima and long journeys are taken in the Jag. This is a touring car and is designed to be driven on the highway for long distances at cruising speeds(within the law, of course). Jags have had a horrible history with quality control that I believe Ford ironed out when they took over. Neither of us has ever quite driven a vehicle quality and luxury which is why it is probably the best car we ever owned.

High performance 4.0 liter engine, elegant body design and interior comfort. Excellent command of the road with cat like responsiveness.

Small interior compartment if you are a large person. this is not a fuel efficient car either, the trade off is for comfort.

Great Car
By Bob

2002 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ Sport 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 5A)

My wife has always dreamt of owning a Jaguar and the year we've owned our Sport has been a dream. Love the style and performance. It rides so smooth it's like it's mounted on a rail. The transmission is the smoothest I ever shifted. Fun car to drive and always gets complements from people that see it. Won't be our last XJ.

Power, classic style, beautiful interior. My wife loves the seats. I like the handling and the way you feel behind the wheel.

Love My 2nd XJR
By Randy Walker

2002 Jaguar XJ-Series XJR 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl S/C 5A)

My favorite car every. I loved my straight 6 cyl supercharged 97 but this 02 is even better. Unlimited smooth instant rear wheel power with fully defeatable trac. Light them up through 3rd! Perfect for dad with a few kids. Great everyday driver!! Tires and brakes are pricey. I have 94k as of now, bought with 19k. Highly maintained all services and drives so well I find myself leaving the music off just to hear the engine and car itself. Nothing drives like this car. I have come close to wrecking cheap rental cars many times. Tires squeal when I am turning and braking. Seems I wait to long too turn and wait too long to brake in thise cheap cars.

Engine followed by the handling and styling.