Used 2005 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Jaguar X-Type

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Why the Bad Rap?
By Adam

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I read all the reviews before buying my X-type and I was a little worried as most seemed to give the car a bad rap. After owning it for 8 months I have found only minor things I would change on the car. Most reviews said the car wasn't as sporty as the other small cars in it's class. While that may be true not everyone is looking for a sports car. With the 230hp engine the Jag will get you anywhere you need to go plenty fast. If you're looking to blow the doors off other cars go buy a Mustang Cobra for the same price. For the rest of us who are just looking to ride around in style this car is perfect. Drives nice, looks sharp, and I haven't had any issues yet.

The heated seats automatically turn off after 15 minutes. Not my favorite feature.

The grin still hasen't left my face!
By Tedd

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

What a great car! I just finished driving the X type from Kansas City to L.A. I ventured off the interstate often and hit some great winding mountain road (pine to palms hwy) and even went off road into (yes, into!) the grand canyon on a gravel road/creek bed! Went from rain and snow (in Flagstaff) to desert heat. The car was loaded down to the hilt, driven hard, thrown into corners, cruised at high speed, and every component performed perfectly! (except the rearview mirror vibrated out of position on the rough gravel road leading into the grand canyon) I never had a more fun drive! BMW should be worried!

Strong engine, all wheel drive, quality materials, excellent fit and finish. Standard suspension plenty sporting! Auto windshield wipers, big trunk, timeless good looks

The J-Gate on the auto-stick is "old- school" charming but not the most effective way to shift through the gears Too easy to engage "one-touch-down" on power window switch

Jag X
By Gonzales

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The X-Type is a Jaguar in every sense, especially in the one important one: you feel good every time you sit in it, feel the leather, see the wood and chrome, the curves of the bonnet, and feel the way it performs. A delight.

Fantastic interior, with fine DVD touchscreen navigation.

Jag X 2.5 5M - First 8 months
By steve

2005 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Pleased with the car - great value. Interestingly, I switched from a V6 GTI and my back no longer hurts when I drive. The Jag body curves are sensuous and the car is easy to wash and dry. Service has been exceptional, as was the salesman and dealer. In a sea of possibilities, this little Jag is a good bet.

I like the cat on the hood and it has a big trunk. The seats aren't bad and neither is the stereo but it is not top shelf.

Stronger engine - though the 2.5 stick is snappy, I would not call it fast. More power would be better. The ability to improve the sound system would be nice.

IT'S IMPROVED
By Brooks

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had been leasing a 2002 X Type. I find the 2005 a much improved car. The transmission is more responsive. The car handles better, has memory seats and mirrors. A great sound system is even better. Before leasing this car I test drove an Acura RL and a BMW 330i. I found the ride and performance of the Jag to be more satisfying In 2 months of driving there have been no defects.

Ride and handling. Nav system. Audio. Interior and exterior styling.

It could use an electric closing trunk lid. More rear seat room. A larger variety of interior colors.