Used 2005 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Jaguar X-Type

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

The Jag
By Venessa

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The Jaguar x-type vdp edition is my 3rd vehicle that I've owned and by far the most fun and luxurious vehicle. I get so many compliments on it, and people think that I've paid a fortune. Luckily, I got a great deal for an awesome product. I've heard some negative things about Jaguar and so far I have not experienced any of them and I've had the car for almost 6 months. I don't know how anyone can see this car doesn't compare to the BMW 3 series or Mercedes C Class. This car definitely has a lot going for it plus more. I don't regret this purchase at all.

My #1 favorite feature is the navigation because I get lost everywhere and this definitely helps. Also the seats are so comfortable, you can sleep in them. The controls are easy to use.

My biggest complaint is the fuel efficiency. It is not that great. I definitely fill up my car a lot more often then any other car that I've owned. Also the cup holders are not that convenient. I can't even fit a Snapple bottle in them.

Amazing - get a 2005 or newer!
By Jag

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the car, I researched the car before purchase, saw that 2001-03 had some problems, Jaguars Quality Initiative 04 put over 1000 new components in this car. My 2005 is awesome. Great driving experience, curves and hills are my favorite, AWD will be a blessing this winter. Luxury interior leaves you feeling like and people thinking that you paid a fortune for this car.

Windows that go completely down, putting the moon roof open and driving with the wind blowing thru the car. Amazing trunk space considering its a relatively small gar, I am getting 29 MPG in this on righ now. Front and rear fog lamps are really nice.

Great Deal
By Michael in Iowa

2005 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I'm 65. This is my 17th car and the first that's more than basic transportation. I have the basic X- type with no options: manual transmission and the small engine. To me, given a same-price choice between the X-type and a mid-level Accord or Camry is a no-brainer. The Accord and Camry are larger, but the X-type just lovely. It's beautifully equipped and a pleasure to drive. It seems powerful and sporty. Gas mileage, 19/28, is good for an all wheel drive car with 192 HP, and the shifter is the smoothest I've ever worked. I'd buy another.

Very comfy seats that don't get tiresome after hundreds of miles. A large trunk. A fine sound system that picks up distant stations clearly and without static. Cruise control that maintains exactly the desired speed.

Just a few quibbles: The crank to raise and lower the seatback is stiff, poorly located, and requires too many rotations. The headlights are not automatic. The ignition is located in a hard-to-find spot.

Fun to Drive
By Keith

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had never considered buying a Jag until I happened to test drive one while my wife was looking for a new car. It took me by surprise how much fun I had driving the 2.5 5 speed manual. Yes the car is not perfect but I think it holds its own against the BMW 3 and Merz C. I haven't had this much fun driving a car since I was a 16 year old with a Camaro. New X-types are a little pricey but a good value can be found with a Certified Pre-owned Jaguar. I ended up buying a 3.0 auto with the sport package. I miss shifting gears but still have more fun than I thought was possible driving a sedan. After 3 months I'm still happy I bought the car

Styling, wood trim, leather seats and that distinctive hood ornament. Build quality is good, interior pieces fit well with no squeaks or rattles. Smooth highway ride.

Seat could be a little wider.

Nice VDP
By Todd

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased an elite VDP 3.0 with decked out rims, etc. Happy with car overall. Hit deer going 40 mph and car held up to impact surprisingly well - only cosmetic damage. Very sturdy car (had Volvo previously) - feel safe. Some transmission issues already. Fails to up/downshift causing annoying jerking to ride. Trans seems to slip. Premium stereo could be better. Would like more interior space - need to adjust seats for different size guests depending where they sit. Larger sun visors would be nice. Don't like the center armrest much.

Status and VIP valet treatment! Easy to drive, handles well and looks sexy. Like the AWD especially in snow. VDP is a nice touch. 17" Rims make the car stand out from the siblings. Steering wheel buttons. J shift. Car's strength.

More interior space. Easier rear seat access. Better subs for stereo. Sun visors which work better. Heavy top down tint on front window. Retire green dash lights. Offer high performance engine like the Super V8. Better transmission. Retractable rear headrests. Less dust producing brake pads.