Used 2004 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews - 201 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Jaguar X-Type

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

who has a lemon
By oh well

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I was looking for schematics of the front diff. (pumpkin) and came to Edmunds and found this review of a lady totally dissatisfied with her x- type. I am sorry but I purchased a 04 with 40,000 miles for my wife and the car has been exceptional. Nothing but normal stuff...rear brakes. this lady who says it has been nothing but trouble must have received a Monday/Friday car and am truly sorry she cannot enjoy the luxury of a Jaguar. This is what Ford intended...to have a luxury car be affordable to the middle class. I am a GM fan, oh well can't win them all.

LEMON !!
By N.

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My husband purchased this car for me for my 40th birthday. Not a day goes by without regret. It has been nothing short of disastrous. It has been in the shop 7 times for the same two problems: 1)grinding noise located in the right front 2) at about 35 mph the engine begins to vibrate - best description: feels like you are driving over a washboard. They actually REPLACED the engine and it still is not fixed. The interior is falling apart. The lining surrounding the front and back windows is peeling off. The visor mirrors are broken. The back seat seat belts have broken. The glove box will not close properly. Electrical side mirror adjustment switch is faulty. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!!

none

discontinue manufacturing

Wow and more WOW
By Sexy Cat

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is one of the funnest and most sexy cars to drive I just fell in love. I was choosing between this and a Mazda 6 and hands down I am so happy I chose this car. It just makes ya feel like you are better than you really are and that is something you can't put a price on. I get out and just stare at it and have tripped on things from not watching where I am going. If you are EVER lucky enough to buy 1 DO IT!

Sexy car. Makes you feel Fanfreakingtastic when your rolling down the road with your sexy cat purring beneath your feet. The thing is that it is sweet enough to drive when your young and yet classy enough to drive when your older. I LOVE this car. What a steal.

5 years in and I still love it!
By uab9253

2004 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought mine new in December 2004 and I still love this car. I have had 50000 relatively trouble free miles. I have only had bulbs, battery, fluids replaced - just got a rear brake job. Like another reviewer, I switched from Continental to Fuzion tires - they seem to be holding up much better and look good too. I also have the cloth wrinkling along the supports on each side of the windshield. This car has never left me, embarrassed me or sent me to the shop. I only just now have to pay for service- Dealer prices were a shock. I've probably gone there for the last time - minor stuff I'll have done at a local garage. Glorified oil change at 50K "Service" miles was $500.

Don't use the AWD in snow because we don't get much and all other drivers are idiots in snow, but it does track well. Interior is very nice. This car still looks showroom new, but I have babied it. Love the Jaguar mystique.

Headlamp bulb assemblies make changing your own bulbs nearly impossible. Would have loved daytime running lights. Cupholders are tight.

Kitty Corners
By Chief

2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I found a steal on a 2004 2.5 X-type with only 21k mileage. I couldn't resist at the under 10k price despite their maintenance reputation. I was shocked at how well it handles and with the 5 speed and 200 horses it can be driven like the cat it is. I'm sure the 3.0 or the 430 horse versions are nice improvements. Being in the NW I appreciate the AWD in the snow but the torquey nature of the car will set you sliding if you're not careful. Not an Outback for sure but it looks hotter!

The handling is the best. I love drifting around a wet cloverleaf knowing I can snap it into place when I see fit.

The headlight assembly is not Japanese but Tata should learn from them what Ford apparently didn't!