Used 2002 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Jaguar X-Type

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

True Blue but often Yellow
By KCnHouston

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

It was the best of cars, it was the worst of cars. After almost 5 years I still love this car. But the fun of driving a X-Type Sport 2.5 quickly wore thin after returning the car for service and repairs more often than I can remember. I kept all of the records but I don't think that I will keep them in the car when I go to try to sell it because I don't want anyone to see how many times the car has needed repair.

This is a beautiful car with incredable handling and power. So many little things about this car make it one I will remember.

Fix all the electrical problems. Lights, backup sensors, transmission, ABS brakes DCS fault, door locking sensors, you name it it went out and had to be replaced. I won't keep it after the 5 year warranty period expires this summer.

Real Estate Machine
By David J.

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an 02 X-Type. I had upgraded from a 97 Cad STS. What a different car. I feel the Jag is more refined while remaining sporty. The all wheel drive is a must for the Colorado winters. In fact the X-Type is so good in the snow that I feel no need to purchase a SUV. The car has a few quirks like the turn signals won't turn off unless you make a full turn. I also wish the car had more driver leg room since I am 6'2". Overall though I have to say that when I went to the dealer I was going to buy a BMW or Audi. I had such a bad attitude about the old Jags and their lack of reliability I didn't even want to test drive it. Once I drove it I immediately bought it and will drive nothing else.

Quality, driveability, AWD, performance, refinement. This car is a status symbol. Everyone thinks I dropped 60k on it and keep the mechanic in good funds. The car is reliable.

Make the turn signal shut off at a quarter turn and I believe that the new ones have this but add 2nd cup holder. So many people rip on the one cup holder and dub the car as the selfish egocentric driver's car.

Great little car
By Tom

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 4dr AWD Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car because of its curb appeal and AWD. To date and 55000 miles later, I am not disappointed. I opted for standard transmission and the 3.0 engine and the car revs nicely when needed. Not a problem uphill or to pass at all. Gas mileage is a matter of driving styles, the Jag gives me 21-23 city and 23-25 highway. The car stills turns heads wherever I drive it

Navigation system, 6-speaker audio system.

A more stylish interior.

Need re-engineering
By Cliff

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

What a disappointment this car is. A lot of cheesy engineering. Transmission died at 45000 miles, cost $7200. Need new brake job at 42000 miles, cost $1,200. Can only be done by Jag or you can expect to hear brake noise, even with genuine pads and rotors.The vent cover pops up all the time near the windshield and makes noise, the driver seat moves forward 1/4" - 1/2" went stopping, the middle console rocks side-to-side like it's going to come apart.

Like the styling, exterior looks great. Handles nice with the all wheel drive in the snow.

Overall Great Car
By Brad

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 4dr AWD Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my X-Type used a little over two years ago. I have loved every minute of it. I have not had any reliability issues with the car at all. I have only had it in to the dealer for routine service. Also, the 2.5L V6 has more than enough power for daily driving. Before I bought the car, I had read several reviews stating that the car was underpowered. Unless you're buying this car to do drag racing, this is not the case. I find it has as much, or even more power than my last car - a Infiniti I35 with a 3.5L V6. The X-Type's AWD system also has a leg up on the BMW 325xi. This is a great car for the price!

The Sport Package was the best buy. The sport seats and suspension add to the car by leaps and bounds. The AWD system is incredible. The overall looks of the car distinguish it from it's other European competition.

Simple features like a standard monochromatic rear view mirror. Also transmission can lurch when shifting into passing gear.